• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking at a Cat 966B...Good machine?

buffaloman

I am looking at a Cat 966B that is for sale locally. It looks good other than the water pump is leaking on the motor. I don't see any major oil leaks. Seems to run and work good. Can anyone tell me if there is something these machines are known for that I should look for? It is kind of old (1966) but I only want it for use around the farm. It will probably only see about 100 hrs a year of use. Thanks!

Attachments

• 966B.jpg
    966B.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,930
Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
there are vast herds of 966b and c's roaming chicagoland. incredible snow pushers and pretty damn reliable. not so very comfy, though.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
We still run a few 966B/S's, they are good machines. As q said, very reliable, pretty loud and the brakes suck. But they start everyday. A little drippy drippy on the waterpump is no big deal. It looks like its in great shape for its age.

palacemasonry

does anyone know of A WEB SITE TO LOOK UP EQUIPMENT TO CONFIRM YEAR AND WHAT COUNTRY IT ORIGINED FROM . i HAD ON BUT IT WAS SAVE UNDER FAVORITES AND MY COMPUTER CRASHED . THERE WAS NO CHARGE FOR VIEWING THIS INFO .

THANKS

JimInOz

The 966C loaders sell well here,as they had a good reputation.I think the B model were reliable too.
I would imagine it to be an excellent farm loader.

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
Hey Buffaloman, Ran 2 diferent 980B's over the years (2500-3000 hrs. seat time between the 2) Always started always ran all day. Uncomfortable yes, 10 hrs. you where ready to get out and grab a cold one. They would load some trucks. Dependable yes. Good luck.:cool::drinkup Bob Happy Holidays to ALL

buffaloman

Okay. I got this 966B bought yesterday. I've never owned a wheel loader before so I am excited. I know this would be considered an old piece of junk to many, but to me (a farmer) it is like a new toy! Maybe my D8H dozer will enjoy the company of a 966B!
The equipment dealer is going to replace the water pump for me and then I can pick it up. I did speak to the previous owner (another farmer) who only lives about 15 miles from me. He said it was a good running machine that never gave him any trouble. He just wanted something with a nicer, newer, more comfortable cab. He did say that when traveling down the road it always had a slight wander from left to right, but he just put up with it and never checked into correcting it. I'm not too worried about that.
I want to thank everyone that on this site that helps guys like me learn about heavy equipment. You guys are a wealth of information covering everything from mechanical issues to safe operating procedures. Thank you!

Attachments

• 966B Cat.jpg
    966B Cat.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,170

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Old loaders of any brand will wander as the steering cylinders and articulating joint get a little slop in them. One of the local gravel haulers here has 2 966 with cabs very similar to yours, they might be the same model. He liked the first one so much he got a second, and then had the first refurbished by Cat. I doubt he'd have done that if they were much trouble. Good luck with it!

swampdog

The 966B and C machines are close relatives by the looks of things. They are much more similar (obviously) than the 966B and its predecessor. Maybe someone can point out the differences between the B and C models; I'm curious.

These hunks of steel were built back in the days when industrial quality meant industrial quality. Back when men were men and iron was iron, etc, etc. ;)

One thing I like about my 966C is that it has no computers anywhere on it; good old mechanical parts that one can figure out. And they are as tough as nails. They still bring a good dollar too, with many of them going overseas in containers.

petercat966

cat 966b

My father and I run a Cat 966 B for snow removal. I believe he bought it in the 70's for his construction company. I personally like the older Cats because I feel the newer ones are too computer oriented and are exp. and confusing to work on. The only downside Ive noticed would be after operating the machine for 18 hrs the seat can become alittle unconfortable.
With regular maintenance your 966b should provide you with yrs of good service.

Good luck w your new loader