• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loose Case 580D

JRP3

Hi all. I recently picked up a 1981 Case 580D, so I'll probably be here on the forum quite a bit :notworthy It's my first real backhoe, (had a Ford 9N that I put a hoe and loader on), so I don't know much about them.
My first question is regarding the Swing Frame. All the arm bushings seem to be pretty tight, but I can feel the swing frame moving up and down underneath me as I work the hoe. There seem to be two large threaded adjusting "straps" or "hooks", sort of, (don't know what to call them), with 2 inch nylock nuts on them, and it looks as if tightening them will pull the swing frame tight to the tractor. I put a 3/4 inch drive 2 inch socket on them with a 4 ft cheater bar and nothing moved, even though one of the adjusting straps is slack enough to move by hand if I set the bucket just right. Are these things something a normal person should be able to tighten up? Do I need an 8 ft cheater bar? Or would it just be easier to try and cut the nut off and get a new one? :Banghead

cat320

Charter Member
I used to have a 580c and i think the d had the same thing that if you wanted to take the hoe off you could and that is what those 2 big nuts are I think.I never took mone off and probably for that same reason of it being a pain to get the nuts on and off easy.

coopers

580B, C, and D's could have their hoes removed. That might be what it is, the links moving around a bit. It's been a while since I've operated a case that old so I'm not totally sure.

Blake
WA

JRP3

Guess I'll try a longer pipe. Then start cutting if that doesn't work. :bash :cussing

cat320

Charter Member
You might want to try heating up the nut then use the bar to try to tighten it down . but if you do cut and put all new hardware i would put anti seize on it .