• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lowboy Options

Jason Bergsten

I am considering purchasing a lowboy to haul machines on my farm. (John Deere 1050J, Terex RT230, and Case magnum rowtrac set at 120-inch centers) I would only use it a couple times a year and on flat gravel roads. I am currently looking at a Kaufman 50T ag trailer but can't find much information on them. Does anyone have any knowledge about them or if another trailer could work well?

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
I am considering purchasing a lowboy to haul machines on my farm. (John Deere 1050J, Terex RT230, and Case magnum rowtrac set at 120-inch centers) I would only use it a couple times a year and on flat gravel roads. I am currently looking at a Kaufman 50T ag trailer but can't find much information on them. Does anyone have any knowledge about them or if another trailer could work well?
For only a couple times a year, I think I would hire it out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums JB!

Can't agree with Pops52 more. Hire your moves out as it will be much cheaper.

We hire all our moves out except for CTL's and a mini as it's just cheaper and easier. If you need the trailer for other things then it's a different conversation. Just my $.02 worth the price paid.:)

skyking1

I'm in the hire camp too, if it can work for you. Sometimes you cannot get service when you need it and harvest might be that way. I don't know.
I do know that simply in terms of tire life you will be bummed when you shell out for a new set when the ones on there have full tread but are timed out and blowing on you.

suladas

Would at the very least price out what you would have to pay someone to haul stuff might not make sense to own. Here it does though, while I don't use mine a lot at a cost of $800 each time it doesn't take many to pay for truck and trailer.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Over the past couple of years I've had several tires blow out from age, and setting. Five in total actually on my drop deck semi trailer, semi tractor, and antique dump truck which is always indoors. All tires are 15 years or older, none had greater than 50% wear, and no punctures in their service life.

With just the current cost of replacement tires, I'd think really hard before putting something with such limited usage on the road myself.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just for conversation we have 2 local towing companies with Landoll's and lowboy's that move our equipment in 20 mile radius for an average of $300-350 per move for a 55K lb trackhoe.

It works for us as our machines are usually on the job for at least 2 weeks at a time if not a month or two. Just doesn't make sense for us to own a lowboy. Last year for instance we paid around $18K total for all our moves.

Insurance, fuel, maintenance, tires and gov't compliance would almost be that much before we even pay for the truck and trailer itself. Also it puts the liability of the move on the towing company.

Old Doug

Hiring it done would be great if it would work out. At one time it was very hard to get any thing hauled around here there wasnt any one that had a truck and trailer that didnt have it tied up and if they had the equipment they had a job for it and wasnt interested in a side gig. Even getting a storage trailer moved wasnt easy the best way was to have a wrecker move it.
What style of trailer are you looking at do you have any pictures?

Reactions: JPV

jonno634

Occupation
Farmer

Welcome Jason….
I guess I’ll be the odd man out on this one. Do you already own a 5th wheel truck? Do you farm in multiple locations? If the answer was yes to both of these, then, I found it was better to have my own trailer. HERE, there isn’t a commercial hauler within 25 miles that does lowboy work, unless you talk to a dealership. For convenience and timing issues, I added a lowboy about 10 years ago. I was moving my quadtrac quite a bit, and that helped justify it (I had paid 2 times to have it hauled). Now, if you don’t move often, or don’t have the truck already, then maybe hire it done for a while, and possibly add a trailer later. NOTE: Ive been asked multiple times to haul for others, but haven’t been able to get our farm insurance to give me the thumbs up on that.

terex herder

Have Titan take your rowtrack to the shop and then deliver it to the desired field. See if Landmark will haul your dozer.
If trailers are like everything else you are looking at $30-40K used, plus a new tire or two every year, plus brakes that can wear out faster setting than moving, a pony motor to service and a battery every couple of years.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well if there is no one else available to heavy haul, maybe consider making a side business out of it. If you cant find anyone to heavy haul there is likely a place for it in your area. I know several guys here that do excavating and heavy haul on the side. One does work for CAT and has a truck with them exclusively. Titan may be interested in hiring you for some of their moves as well. If your going to buy a setup to haul those types of equipment, you might as well put it to work and make some money with it.

Essayons

As far as Kaufman trailers, yes I pull a 55T Kaufman lowboy. They are a cheaply built trailer. IMO they are for guys just starting out who need a trailer but can’t afford any of the big name tried and true trailers. I would buy one only under that circumstance, until I could do better. I have many nits to pick with the Kaufman I pull BUT it hasn’t had a mechanical failure yet even considering I have had it slightly overloaded a few times. If I used it everyday I don’t think that’d be the case though.