• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lube skid

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions.

We've decided to build a skid with 2 - 25 gal product tanks (engine and hydro) and a 50 gal waste tank. The skid is 48" wide and 54" long so it will fit between the fender wells of a SRW 350. Skids are C-channel so we can load and unload with our Gradall or CTL's on the job in addition to a lifting eye for the excavators.

Looking at Northern Tool Roughneck 5:1 pump, 50' hose reel and digital oil gun. Total price is just under $700. We have torpedo gas powered air compressors in each of the 2 4x8 job boxes for air on the job. Eventually the '13 350 is getting a flatbed with a fixed gas powered air compressor.

Still putting the costs together but expect to be under $4k total.

hvy 1ton

I would highly recommend a 30+" Montezuma box when you install the flatbed.

la400_grande.jpg

xl450_grande.jpg

Oxbow

la400_grande.jpg

xl450_grande.jpg
Late to the party here. I really like the Montezuma boxes, but unfortunately they are not weathertight enough for northern climes with snow and salted roads. At least that is what I have noticed with the guys that have them around here.

@CM1995 , we are similar size to you, and this is what we came up with.
1684967026256.jpeg
1684967087134.jpeg
1684967123074.jpeg
1684967169462.jpeg

We purchased this from a local outfit that specializes in lease returns from utility and company fleets. It's a 2015 that we bought a couple of years ago for 25K, complete with crane, wireless remote control for crane, oil tanks, recovery tanks, tool drawers.....everything you see except for contents of the boxes. You won't believe how many things you find to do with the crane despite having other equipment around for lifting. The truck only had 110,000 miles, but did have 8600 hours, so it must have idled all the time on job sites. It has been trouble free though!

There is a company that provided the lube portion of this set up, but I don't recall the name. I can get it if you want it. The recovery hose can be switched by moving a lever, and I think we have two 50 gallon new oil tanks and 80 or so recovery. We have a 55 gallon plastic drum in our job trailer for def with a long hose for bigger jobs - smaller we resort to the environmentally UNFREINDLY plastic jugs like you.........that's a whole different subject! We do not have a grease system on it, but like you use Milwaukee battery grease guns in every pickup.

This is too late I see, but it might be worth looking for a company that deals with commercial lease returns to see if you can find a similar set up.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
If you have space don't forget the suggestion from @treemuncher regarding a pressure washer.

Nige that will probably be on a separate skid with a 4x4 plastic water tote. We have a tote set up to pressurize with air for when we need water on the job for concrete and mortar for inverts and such. Works pretty well. We have a hot water washer but that stays at the yard. A tote with a small gas powered washer would fit the bill.

la400_grande.jpg

xl450_grande.jpg

I like those HVY but probably won't have the space on a SRW flatbed. On my truck and the supers Ram dually we both have the UWS aluminum 4 drawer box that works well with the 4 other Weatherguard tool boxes. My 4 drawer is mounted at the rear of the bed next to the tailgate and it's super handy to have all your small hand tools right there at your tailgate.

Looking at some drawer systems to go inside a WG box on top of the flat bed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Late to the party here. I really like the Montezuma boxes, but unfortunately they are not weathertight enough for northern climes with snow and salted roads. At least that is what I have noticed with the guys that have them around here.

@CM1995 , we are similar size to you, and this is what we came up with.
View attachment 286772
View attachment 286773
View attachment 286774
View attachment 286775

We purchased this from a local outfit that specializes in lease returns from utility and company fleets. It's a 2015 that we bought a couple of years ago for 25K, complete with crane, wireless remote control for crane, oil tanks, recovery tanks, tool drawers.....everything you see except for contents of the boxes. You won't believe how many things you find to do with the crane despite having other equipment around for lifting. The truck only had 110,000 miles, but did have 8600 hours, so it must have idled all the time on job sites. It has been trouble free though!

There is a company that provided the lube portion of this set up, but I don't recall the name. I can get it if you want it. The recovery hose can be switched by moving a lever, and I think we have two 50 gallon new oil tanks and 80 or so recovery. We have a 55 gallon plastic drum in our job trailer for def with a long hose for bigger jobs - smaller we resort to the environmentally UNFREINDLY plastic jugs like you.........that's a whole different subject! We do not have a grease system on it, but like you use Milwaukee battery grease guns in every pickup.

This is too late I see, but it might be worth looking for a company that deals with commercial lease returns to see if you can find a similar set up.

Oxbow first off - do ya'll want your money back on that truck? $25K was a steal. :)

The truck we are using is a 2013 F350 we bought new. Since we know this truck in and out and it's been paid for its the perfect subject to turn into a service truck. It has well over 100K miles and has been trouble free except for normal maintenance items and wear parts.

Without a doubt we want a crane one day. In a perfect world I want a Maintainer body on a 4x4 F600 chassis.

What is the brand and part # of the waste oil valve? Our waste oil diaphragm pump is similar but we don't have the selector valve which is something I want to add for obvious reasons.

Oxbow

Oxbow first off - do ya'll want your money back on that truck? $25K was a steal. :)

The truck we are using is a 2013 F350 we bought new. Since we know this truck in and out and it's been paid for its the perfect subject to turn into a service truck. It has well over 100K miles and has been trouble free except for normal maintenance items and wear parts.

Without a doubt we want a crane one day. In a perfect world I want a Maintainer body on a 4x4 F600 chassis.

What is the brand and part # of the waste oil valve? Our waste oil diaphragm pump is similar but we don't have the selector valve which is something I want to add for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure, but I'll go look..........

1684973766258.jpeg
1684973803095.jpeg
1684973844857.jpeg

Be danged if I could find any name or part # on it CM. Maybe you could give LubeMate a call and see if they can help. I don't know if they just do the lube stuff or the whole bed. It's a Knapheide bed, but I'm not sure who put it all together.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks HMC! I ordered the one above which is basically the same.

$400 to the door which is a little "ouch" but worth it in order to not have the mess of swapping lines.

Curious about the "clean out" on the tank hose. What's that for?

hvy 1ton

I really like the Montezuma boxes, but unfortunately they are not weathertight enough for northern climes with snow and salted roads. At least that is what I have noticed with the guys that have them around here.
The old finger smashers weren't, but newer ones intended to be mobile have proper weather stripping and tight latches.
I like those HVY but probably won't have the space on a SRW flatbed. On my truck and the supers Ram dually we both have the UWS aluminum 4 drawer box that works well with the 4 other Weatherguard tool boxes. My 4 drawer is mounted at the rear of the bed next to the tailgate and it's super handy to have all your small hand tools right there at your tailgate.

Looking at some drawer systems to go inside a WG box on top of the flat bed.
I would absolutely give up a 36" 4 drawer box for a 36" Montezuma box. The socket tray on the 36" lifts up and has a good bit of storage back there. I keep my hammers, punch roll, large(for a 36" box) bars and small power tools back there.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The "cleanout" is a screen on the hose reel. For my install, hose and tank are reversed. See the add on sticker above that says "empty" and, behind the lever, "fill".

I run a Y strainer clean out too, diaphragm pumps are tough but it’s insurance against something getting into one of the rubbers and cutting it.

Hey we put pipe in the ground for a living and the only thing I could think of calling it was a clean out. :D

Seriously thanks for the info.

02SILVER

Hey CM, we like you have seen a trend in increasing insurance rates and decided to reduce trucks out of our fleet that got occasional use. As a result we have been looking for a service/Lube trailer to replace an f650 that like your 4700 got sent down the road. We lucked out and were able to get a great auction deal on this trailer
20230525_132919.jpg
20230525_132911.jpg

20230525_132900.jpg
It isn't new and shiny but will serve our needs for the cost of about 2 years insurance premium on the truck it replaced. I was headed down the route you are taking building a skid until I spotted this setup.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
02S that's a nice trailer. If I ran across that at a good price I'd bought it as well. What's the fluid capacity?

Is that a L9000 in the background? Looks like our old girl.

02SILVER

Good eye CM, it is a L8000 tandem auto dump we use in some of our municipality projects. It has been a great truck all the guys can drive. The lube trailer has a 315G waste with suction/discharge, three 50g products, a 250G product, a 200G product, 125# grease, air, lights. I really lucked into this one. I have a three 30g-40g product tank start of a lube skid that I no longer need if you are interested

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks for the offer. The guys are painting our 2 product tanks they welded up last week. Week late and a dollar short..lol.

Our L9000 is auto as well. Built like a brick **** house but underpowered with a L10 Cummins. Great off-road truck that's paid for itself over and over again.