• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lull 644-D Highlander/ rust in fuel tank

carpentervin

Does, anyone have any advise on how to clean this tank effectively? I have drained 20 gal of fuel, replaced the lines and filter, ran great for about 10 min. Started bogging down again, pulled the line to the lift pump and drained into clear container....full of rust particles.

I am certain I am not the first person this has happened to...cant find any information on the web. Chemicals? Process? Coating after cleaning?

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thank you,

carpentervin

Delmer

Youtube is great, strap the tank to a concrete mixer, add water and broken glass, run till clean.

If you want to leave it in place you could add a bigger filter head connected directly to the tank with a bigger hose, to keep from plugging and get the big junk before it clogs up the rest of the system.

icestationzebra

Youtube is great, strap the tank to a concrete mixer, add water and broken glass, run till clean.

If you want to leave it in place you could add a bigger filter head connected directly to the tank with a bigger hose, to keep from plugging and get the big junk before it clogs up the rest of the system.

That is going to be hard to do when the fuel tank is part of the frame :(

I don't have any good advice on how to clean it, but once you do I would suggest dropping a couple strong magnets in the bottom of the tank to attach any loose particles. Also, do not store this machine without topping the tank off. Even though diesel is oiley to the touch it does not make a good rust preventative, you have to keep the air out. I have heard of sealing rusty tanks but that is going to be very hard with this machine due the very long and narrow tank design. If I remember correctly besides the frame rail there is also a small tank built in to the engine cradle.

ISZ

Dualie

get some rare earth magnets on ebay. throw them down the fuel tank. I do that on all my older iron

joestewart

On my 644, I drained the tank, but there was still 1/4 inch of fuel mixed with water and junk on the bottom. So I rigged up a wet-dry vacuum and vacuumed out all the residual. Had to lower a lamp into the tank so I could see. Had to bond my vacuum hose to a rigid rod so I could direct it to the right spots. There wasn't much rust in mine, but I got it pretty clean using this technique.