• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Made in America

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The last I checked Komatsu was a privately held company in Japan. Komatsu Americas Corp. was closely held by Komatsu Japan. Case/New Holland is owned by Fiat but I think is publicly owned. Komatsu, Hitachi, Mitsubishi and Sumitomo are funded by the Sumitomo Bank in Japan. I don't recall seeing Volvo on any of the US markets.

My real point is that at this time in history almost nothing new is coming out of this country. Boeing outsourced most of its production for the 787. There is some medical equipment going out but look again at the machine tool industry. Is there more than five manufacturers left in this country? How about measuring tools. Lasar and GPS systems seem to be doing well. Most all that is any good comes from overseas. Software you might ask. Microsoft farmed out a huge portion of the Windows 7 operating system to India for development. They are bringing people from India here to do programming at half of what they pay US citizens.

If you want to buy any "Made in America" iron, you better do your home work. Most likely you will be funding someone else overseas.

td25c

If you want to buy an excavator or dozer that is "all American".Need go back about 25 years and buy used equipment.Not much totaly produced equipment in any country now day's.It's Global now.But it's all about economic cycles,we will make equipment again and call it "American made" in the near future.

tootalltimmy

"The Nation’s international trade deficit increased to $36.4 billion in November from $33.2 billion (revised) in October, as imports increased more than exports." US Census Bureau

This might have something to do with it.

Made in Canada is getting very scarce as well.

Last edited:

Bigstevex4

made in america is long gone. its funny even harely guys still believe that there 100% american made resealed the fork tubes on my 12 year old road king got shoi stamped on them.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Bunch of things here.

First CM 1995. The units you are talking about are only assembled here, not built here. Pretty much all of the off shore automotive models assembled here come from off shore manufactured parts.

John C. you hit it right on the nose. All of the profit from Komatsu, Kobelco, Hitachi, Honda, Toyato, and all of the others goes right to the bank in the home country. THe bright ideas that have a chance of commerical success in this country go off shore because of taxes and government regulation. It is impossible to build an oil refinery, power plant, steel mill, foundry and the like in this country because of regulation, regulation, regulation. At the most local level this is also true. My local county is giving me fits about a new shop which I need badly. They could care less if I get it or not. Many at that level don't want to see any kind of business at all no matter what kind it is. Just hug the trees. I say let them starve in the cold and dark.

Dynahoescott, as for your diesel engine in a car in this country. Some twenty years ago a General Motors plant manager told me that "at General Motors we build what we want to. Our marketing and advertising departments convenince the people to buy it. This was in reference to a conversation about why I had just purchased a new Volkswagen because it had multiport fuel injection and a 5 speed manual transmission. At that time no one in this country built such a thing. General Motors also single handed set Diesel power in cars back 100 years with their feeble attempt in 1981 with their 350 small block with an injector pump hung on it.

Limestone, as for China being a 4th world country you are being generous. Everything that comes our of China no matter if it is tooth paste, dog food, toys, steel, castings or anything else seems to be trash. Every day there is a new recall for something from there it seems. For those of you on here that are old enough to remember, the stuff from Japan after World War II was pretty much junk too. But at its worst the Japanese stuff was still better the the chinese crap at its best. Everything I buy anymore I look at the country of orgin. I avoid chinese everytime I can. I am glad to pay the premium for US made pipe fittings, hand tools, steel and everything else I can get. Unfortunately quite a few times I am stuck with the chinese sh--.

Reuben

Isnt Leibherr made all in America.......I just dont know for sure........................................................................................... Liebherr Construction Equipment Co.
4100 Chestnut Ave.
Newport News, VA, 23605

dynahoescott

Greg, you sound like a very intellectual man and I greatly admire that. Believe it or not I believe there are few diesels in this country is because of the feminization of our society, diesels are a masculine concept and most of todays youth are brought up to be tree huggers and forbode pride in country as well as being brain washed by the very liberal media. Just my 2 cents worth but very proud of my time in the USMC , I am only 43 but I see the younger generation leaves alot to be learned about honor pride strength and truth. All that being said, I have total respect for our youth that is currently and will serve. gentlemen you have my respect

dynahoescott

Sorry guys, although that is my honest oppinion, I dont mean to offend anybody, I guess I go off sometime, peace to all .

sultan

Isnt Leibherr made all in America.......I just dont know for sure........................................................................................... Liebherr Construction Equipment Co.
4100 Chestnut Ave.
Newport News, VA, 23605

Hello everyone :)

No, Liebherr's are not American. They are German/French, but of course parts come from other places too, probably including the US. There were some American Liebherrs made in the 70s and early eighties though. They were the models 925, 945, and 965. I tried an '81 Liebherr 925 last year; it was an interesting machine, and it didn't appear to have swing brakes. It had a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel that sounded awesome and started quite well.

Nothing is entirely made in one country nowadays, but when you buy a brand like Cat, the machine would be more american than say a Komatsu.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Dyna, I'm with ya on this. I've driven VW diesels for years, virtually trouble free and real cheap on fuel. Drives me nuts hearing about how hybrids are the be-all end-all. I guess the funny thing is that this piece of German engineering is built in Mexico! Seems no country is immune from having their jobs exported.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Greg, I have posted prior that finding a 100% American made machine is like finding a needle in a haystack. The Cat machines I am referencing have a lot of structural components laser cut, welded and painted on US soil - I have seen it with my own eyes. Yes there are components made outside the US but to state they are only assembled here (implying that all parts are made overseas and bolted together here) is just not factual. Has anyone else been to the Cat engine casting plant in Mossville, IL or to the track type tractor plant and watched D8 track links stamped out of square stock?

Komatsu, CNH, Volvo Mistubishi Financial, Hitachi and Sumitomo are all publicly traded companies like GE or Ford, which means individual shareholders earn dividends. As an example, a person in the UK can own stock in Cat, Komatsu, GM, etc. The profits are distributed amongst it's shareholders, not horded away in some Foreign bank. Cat is the biggest heavy equipment manufacturer in the World, does that mean the money made comes back to a bank vault in the US? No, it is distributed to it's shareholders.

However there are some bright spots. Greg you said it was impossible to build a new steel mill, foundry and the like in this country. Here in Alabama they are doing just that. ThyssenKrupp is building a new factory in Mobile, AL. This is a positive step in bringing manufacturing into this country.

In Alabama we have assorted manufacturing facilities - Hyundai, Toyota, as mentioned previously Mercedes, Honda and the Boeing Delta IV rocket. Toyota makes V8 engines in Decatur, the first Toyota V8 produced outside Japan.

I doubt there is a machine, truck or auto in the market that is 100% made in any country. To say a machine is not manufactured here because a certain % of the parts are made overseas, is like saying you didn't build that parking garage because the cement came from Mexico, the rebar from Korea and the tower crane from Germany.:cool2 This is the global society we live in, not so sure that I like it but it is what it is.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I doubt there is a machine, truck or auto in the market that is 100% made in any country. To say a machine is not manufactured here because a certain % of the parts are made overseas, is like saying you didn't build that parking garage because the cement came from Mexico, the rebar from Korea and the tower crane from Germany.:cool2 This is the global society we live in, not so sure that I like it but it is what it is.

Well said CM1995, my thoughts exactly. That's the way it is boys, take it...or gripe about it! It's still an American worker "bolting something together". That's a good thing. ;)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'll keep that in mind when I have to work on the next Catsubishi that come across the docks in Seattle.

gr79

I'll keep that in mind when I have to work on the next Catsubishi that come across the docks in Seattle.

So, when bare handling that new extension cord or trouble light remember:
Americans are now staying healthier by washing their hands more often per warning instructions printed on imported products that contain lead.
Most all corded electrical products now have this warning.
I have stopped buying anything with this label. CFL mercury bulbs too.