• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Madill 120, opinions please.

Scott S

120.jpg

We are contemplating put together another side with a Madill 120 as a possible yarder. I am looking for the good, bad, and other on running a 120 as both a grapple and msp machine.

Scott S

Coastal WA

Surprised no one has replied so far. My 2 cents. The 120 will do well as a grapple or MSP machine. The design is good for Grapple, they are capable of opening or closing the grapple during inhaul or out haul due to their oil clutches. You would be able to do that with the MSP also, but it would only move the line a little ways since the clutch is disengaged only momentarily when you press the button. I talked with the 120 operator at WY Vail and asked him about doing that, he said yes it will do it but the machine shakes so he stops and adjusts his lines, they were pretty much exclusive to the MSP. It sounds to me you better know how to adjust the valves to make sure it is tuned properly to have it work smoothly. The guys at Vail said, which you are probably aware with a yarder if it has sat, junk in the lines plagued them and still does from time to time with all the valving to engauge the right pulling and slip clutches to make it do what you want. Watching the WY Vail machine run I was impressed how quite it was, a product of the helical cut gears.

I was in Vail to look at the Lebus grooved sleaves they have on their machine. It works great, just make sure you get the same brand wire rope each time. I think alot of the Madill Swing Yarders ended up with lagging on their drums.

It does say in the manual that to move the machine the boom has to be in the up position, the machine only weighs 85,000 and is a little light in the counterweight arena. That weight makes it attractive on a lowboy though.

In the Madill or Thunderbird Thread, a member from NZ mentioned that the machine was good out to 300 meters, 980 feet, then the gear ratios got messed up. After that distance in his opinion the Thunderbird TSY155 was a better machine.

I think in the grapple/MSP application in 2nd or 3rd growth timber the machine will do fine.

Coastal WA

Here is the post from Roadswitcher on the Thunderbird Tread

OK we are both wrong
It's a T-Bird TSY6250DLS Whatever the heck a DLS is?[/QUOTE]

JeremyM70 - DLS stood for 'DUAL LOGGING SYSTEM' according to my spec sheets. Essentially it was a full interlock machine that was all systems capable and comparable to the TSY 155/Madill 120 for size. Torkel pondered that it may be a better buy than a 120. It does have a more complex gear train than the 120/155 but as long as that stood up, it would be OK. I've worked on both the 120/155 down this way - the 120 worked well out to around 300 metres and then the interlock ratio starts to go out of whack where as the 155 was better over the longer hauls. If distance was a factor for the 6250 there is the option to put up the skyline. Food for thought.

Enjoy your posts - keep em comming.

According to the Thunderbird thread only 3 6250 were built.