• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marine diesel

56wrench

One of the training films i saw way back when i was going to school as an apprentice, was an old scratched up Gray Marine training film showing the engine in a landing craft and the subject was how the governor worked. If i remember correctly lol

JaredV

One of the training films i saw way back when i was going to school as an apprentice, was an old scratched up Gray Marine training film showing the engine in a landing craft and the subject was how the governor worked. If i remember correctly lol
There's a couple different films on YouTube

Truck Shop

Steam.
the-ss-keewatin.jpg

IceHole

That was one of the things I was so disappointed about the 28 day Pacific cruise wife talked me into a few years back, could not get a tour of the engine room. Were they afraid I might steal the engine for my motorcycle?
That'd be the only reason I'd want to go on a cruise.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gray was just a rebadged Salt Water Chevy/ Driptroit.
Dealt with a few oddities on Alton
Pool, Mil spec drive systems behind old beater Detroits, one short distance shuttle boat had Hercs but were a Military base engine, a few Cats, and amazingly three gas 1950 Buick Straight Eights(that one caught fire and sank). Buda and DD stationaries or in cranes/winch works. Bigger boats EMDs one had ALCOs and another antique had two big Baldwins, salvaged engines bought cheap. Heard of one had a Fairbanks but never saw it.

skyking1

Thank you, and hello from the east coast of Scotland. :)
We visited some of that in 2009, we drove up the west as far as Fort William and then down through Pitlochry, across to Arbroath ( had the smokies ) and down across the Tay at Dundee, St. Andrews, and spent a couple of nights in Edinburgh.
We have friends in Manchester-ish that we stay with.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
and amazingly three gas 1950 Buick Straight Eights(that one caught fire and sank).
That's a shame, I had a 1950 Buick with the straight eight. Even with the Dynaflow two speed "not really automatic transmission" I think it had more get up and go than the 1962 Ford with the 352 V-8 I had a couple years after. I 'm thinking that Buick was only about a 248 Cubic inch 8 although it may have been the "big" 263 cubic inch 8!