• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mechanical Logging?

roadrunner

Sure is quiet around here.Just wondering if anyone is still mechanical logging with machines.Would like to see more Logging pics or video as well!

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Hyiak Creek Spruce

These are from the mid 70's from the lower Nestucca River drainage. My partner and I were logging for Longview Fibre at the time. Partner is the one standing on the loaded log truck and I'm the one in front of and on top of the log deck. Had a lot more brawn than brains those days. That was some of the nicest spruce we ever got to log, can't remember how many 3 and 4 log loads went out of their, but it was a bunch. Wish't I had taken more photos:Banghead
They may have fancier equipment now days, but we had bigger logs:)

Attachments

• little big for the grapples.jpg
    little big for the grapples.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,805
  • smilin now that the works done.jpg
    smilin now that the works done.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,785
  • Nice Spruce.jpg
    Nice Spruce.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,776
  • Hyak Creek Spruce.jpeg
    Hyak Creek Spruce.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,825

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Yarder Loggin

Heres a couple from our tower/Cat sides. 1st. one is my old 8230 as it looked about 2 years ago (and yes I still have it), old girl skidded a lot of logs and built a lot of loggin roads in her day. Next one is our Washington 78 swing yarder, we ran a running skyline system with a Danebo slack pulling carriage (the cats meow back then) next one is our 440 JD skidder (in order to run that you had to have been arrested for DUI, reckless driving, eluding, wear a size 14 cork boot and a size 2 hardhat, the next is of our 78 again also out behind Devils lake, Oregon getting ready to land a turn (nice Doug Fir back there, and the last one is of a buddies 071 Madill with a motorized slack pulling carriage (taken from our setting up above him on a cold day just thought it looked kinda cool that morning) the old 8230 (love that old girl) is on the left, behind the FMC 220 tracked skidder.
That 78 was a log gettin SOB if you could keep it running, just doing that was a full time job though! The same could be said about the FMC220 as well

Attachments

• 8230 my baby compressed.jpeg
    8230 my baby compressed.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,760
  • Cold deck at Devils Lake.jpg
    Cold deck at Devils Lake.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,732
  • the 071 in the fog.jpg
    the 071 in the fog.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,729
  • the 78 with a turn.jpg
    the 78 with a turn.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,716
  • showin up the cat.jpg
    showin up the cat.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,805

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Their are a lot of people that still cut conventionally around where I live just because land owners don't want machines on there land and also some hand crews will go in after mechanical crews to cut some of the larger trees.

roadrunner

Thanks for the great pics Big Iron!Nice to see some of that big spruce,reminds me of cutting 58" spruce one time years ago around here in the flat land.We never had to many serious hills to deal with.I used to sub-contract log and had a JD 540B grapple.It was the only thing mechanical as we run saws for falling and bucking.(The good old days!!!)Will try sometime to getsome pictures on here.Big Iron I take it you are done logging now right?
Hey I know exactly the job specification to run your 440 line , mine had a twitch in the steering bad enough to throw a guy out of the seat at any given moment!
DirectTech is that your harvestor in your avatar?If so what make is it?

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Nice pictures, Big Iron. I've worked in both of those areas myself, though the land had changed hands since the mid seventies. Too bad there isn't much of that nice second growth fir left on private land.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Nice pictures, Big Iron. I've worked in both of those areas myself, though the land had changed hands since the mid seventies. Too bad there isn't much of that nice second growth fir left on private land.

Thanks brings back some old memories. The 071 Madill was actually taken out of Garibaldi in the bowl above town. That was one of 5 yarders logging that piece for Publishers before the tree huggers could shut us down. We managed to get it logged and replanted before the courts stopped the project, looks pretty good nowdays, good strong regrowth. Yea the area behind Devils Lake has some nice 2nd growth Doug Fir

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
Yes it is a harvester, it was made by Technologies Direct out of Quebec, but they went bankrupt last year and Volvo bought the rights to the company, we had one at our shop and last Nov. we shipped it to Korea for Volvo so they could modify it for their product line.

joedirt

Always great to see some logging pics. The mill here in Flagstaff Arizona shut down about ten years or so ago. Sure do miss seeing all the equipment and working in the woods. We were recently working for a logging contractor doing mainly pulp and pallets. He was shut down about two moths ago due to the housing crunch. We've got our fingers crossed they will fire back up in the spring.. Thanks for the pics, keep them coming.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Back when:

Scanned picture of our old 8230... Mother in Law took it... still on lowboy, just after we got back from a fire. Our first truck tractor too... A model KW.

Old dozer 001.jpg

I built all the screens from expanded metal... not the best choice of material,
but we didn't have a convenient source of crusher screen.

A friend saw me walking it down an old 2 track one day and said it looked like
a house going down the road...:laugh... they were kind of a brute... :)

Piston crown broke off one time, and we didn't know what was wrong...
made a little noise on start up, but ran fine once started... 2 cycle has a power stroke on every down stroke and that keep the crown pushed against the rest of the piston... It did finally hammer the head and must have gotten
a little crooked and just slightly bent a con. rod.

Got a re-man. head, new piston and rod, new sleeve for that hole... put it all
back together in the woods, and it ran fine... finally traded it in for a new
1150 Case.

It really wasn't that bad of a dozer... just a hair too big for our needs... it did
make noise though...;)

OCR

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Back when: couple more scanned pictures.

These 2 pictures are hanging on my Mom's refrigerator... I told her I wanted to scan them, with the idea of posting them at some later date. I had just
scanned and saved them this after noon... and I saw that this thread had come back to life... kind of a coincidence I guess... :)

old photographs 002.jpg

old photographs 001.jpg

Guess I could have done a little better job on the scanning... :p

Should of gotten rid of those two clowns taking log picture space too...:laugh

OCR

Hillbillybjopkr

Occupation
Logger
Love seein these old pic's. It's like pickin through my dad's old photo albums. I work on a mechanical side. I run the stroker...Denarco Dt 3500. I'm new to the site. Will have pic's and vids up soon as I can post them.