• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

No it's definitely not Tacoma, there have been several different trucks photographed on that
same spot. Could be Gilroy area over Pacheco Pass to Los Banos. One other area possibly
near Anderson above Red Bluff, Cottonwood area.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I live pretty close to Cottonwood/Red Bluff and it does not seem right to me. There would be more digger pines and brush up here I think. But I have not spent much time in Gilroy either.

Also the hills are smaller and not as steep up north, at least near I-5 or what would have been US-99 at the time.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Got to remember those photos are 59 to 60 vintage, allot changes in over half a century.
The other area could have been Castaic at the bottom of the Vine on the southside.
Those are not the only photos I've seen taken at that location, a Pete and International also.
There was some shutterbug interested in trucks at the time.
I live pretty close to Cottonwood/Red Bluff and it does not seem right to me. There would be more digger pines and brush up here I think. But I have not spent much time in Gilroy either.

Also the hills are smaller and not as steep up north, at least near I-5 or what would have been US-99 at the time.

Truck Shop

Two more that I suspect were taken by the same photographer as the ones above. These photos
were taken by a semi professional photographer, the posing of the trucks and drivers plus the
graininess of the photos match the others, same equipment used. Who ever it was, had a eye
for the best models of trucks at that time. Created some nice photos of trucking back when for
us old farts to enjoy today. For some reason every time I see the photo of the LT mack below
which I think was photo'd near Bakersfield on old 99, I think of Dwight Yoakam { Streets of
Bakersfield}.5553151839_9d20870a83_b.jpg231020433_10223186501744037_3990245342773911938_n (1).jpg

Truck Shop

Ah another up-date, I received another e-mail from another old trucker/collector.
He bought the negatives from the photographer {Brian Williams}. Williams would
set up shop taking photos at that Vine brake check area plus covered the valley
up to Sacramento at times.