• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mekanik

It was January and it was really cold out like -30f. The main air line from the compressor froze up and ruptured I was sent there Sunday morning to repair it. I made the 75 mile drive leaving early and the sun was just coming up when I arrived. Hayes used #8 single wire air line from the compressor, all the other truck manufacturers used #10.
There was a small house bordering on the yard where I was working, 500 maybe 600 Sq Ft. The front door swung open and I could hear a woman's voice saying "Get out Git out get out get out get out get out get out get out git out get out get out" Seven dogs exited the house and were peeing and pooing in the front yard.They must have been real dog lovers!

Oxbow

It was January and it was really cold out like -30f. The main air line from the compressor froze up and ruptured I was sent there Sunday morning to repair it. I made the 75 mile drive leaving early and the sun was just coming up when I arrived. Hayes used #8 single wire air line from the compressor, all the other truck manufacturers used #10.
There was a small house bordering on the yard where I was working, 500 maybe 600 Sq Ft. The front door swung open and I could hear a woman's voice saying "Get out Git out get out get out get out get out get out get out git out get out get out" Seven dogs exited the house and were peeing and pooing in the front yard.They must have been real dog lovers!
This brings up a question for you guys that are familiar with old trucks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at one time wasn't air for the compressor, or perhaps after the compressor run through an alcohol filled reservoir to work as an air dryer? I know I have seen them but to my knowledge have never driven a truck that was equipped with one.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Been there years ago Union off Alameda, La. Don't ice anymore. This is a combination use
cattle truck/refer, didn't see too many of these.

View attachment 287007
TS, looking at the photo, wasn't there an outfit our of Yakima in the '60s and '70s that ran a similar configuration? I seem to remember the trucks were either silver or white with red lettering. Am I old or just plain nuts thinking this?

mekanik

This brings up a question for you guys that are familiar with old trucks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at one time wasn't air for the compressor, or perhaps after the compressor run through an alcohol filled reservoir to work as an air dryer? I know I have seen them but to my knowledge have never driven a truck that was equipped with one.
Yes I still see them on occasion. One of the trucks I help maintain is a around 10 year old Volvo VNL it came from the factory with one.

Truck Shop

TS, looking at the photo, wasn't there an outfit our of Yakima in the '60s and '70s that ran a similar configuration? I seem to remember the trucks were either silver or white with red lettering. Am I old or just plain nuts thinking this?
Several trucking companies ran those. Were common in the lower valley.

Truck Shop

My computer crashed about ten days ago, finally got it replaced. Didn't go to a box store this time,
went to a local computer sales/service place. They built one for me, this thing is so fast I'm going
to have to get use to it. Has a vast amount of storage.

crane operator

My computer crashed about ten days ago, finally got it replaced. Didn't go to a box store this time,
went to a local computer sales/service place. They built one for me, this thing is so fast I'm going
to have to get use to it. Has a vast amount of storage.
Hope you didn't lose a lot when your computer crashed.

Just wait about 5 years and then your new computer will be just as slow as your old one.

Truck Shop

Just wait about 5 years and then your new computer will be just as slow as your old one.
Didn't loose anything fortunately, one of the reasons I went this route when buying, I will take
it in once a year for a computer tune-up. Part of the three year warranty-no charge for it. Mine
got slow with PDF's stored along with all the photos I have. That's why I bought what I bought.

Truck Shop

A story to this Sterling Model J.
Years ago my mother lived in Red Bluff Ca. near the airport, I'm about 99% sure there was a
39 Model J Sterling setting in a fenced lot next to several other old fender floppers. At that time
the grille was smashed up and the fenders and most of the hood were gone. I never could get
in to take a closer look, only had binoculars. Only one I have ever seen, and none were known
to exist at that time.
Then about 15 years ago this Sterling collector was said to be restoring/rebuilding the only
J model left, mysteriously found. The last time I drove by there was 1993 and the J was gone.
I'm quite positive it's the same truck, restorer hasn't said where it came from.
However the job restoring it was a great job. The nose/grille, fenders and hood were hand
crafted.

5a3aa329238ef_Jskunkworks.thumb.jpg.e4c5b29ad540ebd965d251c935e8032f.jpg350779594_1049248869383879_1402709558037434714_n.jpg350941630_1731547843961779_8688665783734196012_n.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Are you thinking of these:

Attachments

• Bendix Alcohol Evap.pdf
    159 KB · Views: 9

56wrench

Never use regular alcohol in those, only the specialized air brake antifreeze which isn’t as hard on o’rings, seals and diaphragms

Truck Shop

Never use regular alcohol in those, only the specialized air brake antifreeze which isn’t as hard on o’rings, seals and diaphragms
I thought that too until early in the ABS years starting 1998. We had a short rash of main ABS
valves leaking past the exhaust port, was told by Utility not to use air brake antifreeze. Whether
that was the cause I can't say for sure but the use was stopped and issue stopped.

renovator

It the late 70s, the company I worked for installed a type of alcohol injector (methanol?) on an International Loadstar 1700 that had air brakes. Air dryers weren't very common in those days. That was a sweet running gasser. We worked it to death and it never used a drop of oil (just lots of gas).

Truck Shop

I have some nice easy entertainment/work coming up. My friend Dwight called me yesterday
about driving a belly dump set up for about 6 days worth of work. The nice thing is where the job
is located. Out in the Clyde area 35 miles north of town hauling from a pit at Lyons Ferry.
Two trucks running pulling belly dumps at about ten loads a day each, plus load yourself and
scale it.
Out in the middle of nowhere, hardly any traffic on any of those roads, very few buildings around,
no one to bug you, deer and other wildlife to look at, nothing obstructing the view. Perfect.
Plus he only has excellent equipment to drive--zero iffy junk.