• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
What's up with the box on the back of the long wheel base tractors?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Called a Drom or dromedary. In those days with bridge laws a drom could be used and still pull
a 38 to 42' semi trailer, basically making a truck/trailer from a standard semi. Hostess/Wonder
Bread, Safeway all ran some of those.

Interesting. Before my time and on the wrong side of the continent, apparently ... :D

Truck Shop

Worked cleaning a BCIII block I bought today, had light rust inside from setting. Been setting
for 25 years, inside a shop, fully re-machined. Decked, line bored and counter bores redone
for lower press fit liners. The reason I know it sat for that long is CEMCO was stamped on the
edge of deck along with dimensions. That company sold out in 2000, and the trucking company
that had this block went out of business about that time. But for what I paid for it {minimal}
it was definitely worth saving, the same machine work at todays prices $2,500 to $2,800.
With it and cleaning supplies a total of $300,00 invested.
Plus I bought a tote bin with three turbos, heads and various parts. Plus a machined Small Cam
350 with crank and OEM Cummins piston liner kit's installed, it was $200.00. I just sell it on the
cheap to make a few bucks. This old stuff is still wanted.