• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 475C in Action

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Brings back memories, I was a Service Rep for Clark back in the 70's/80's when coal was blowing and going. 475C was 12yard machine, we also built several 675's, 24 yards, twin 1710 Cummins engines.

Bigstevex4

we sold a new 475cto a coal company mid 80s had that german train transmision in it no clutches 3 tourge converters. was an amazing set up but was hard on the rest of the machine.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I remember those, the transmission was made by Voith. Worked good but sometimes operators took a long time to get used to it. Those torque converters were only 10" and ran at twice engine speed.

Bigstevex4

had a pedal for fwd and one for reverse 2 speeds you could go full speed in forward step down on the reverse pedel that thing would come to a stop and start backwards with out making asingle klunking sound but was hard as hell the finals we did sevrial tests with it drawbar tests remeber changing some orfices inside tran to fine tune it to ground condistions shortly after that we dropped clark and took on the full komatsu line years later that mine closed down went out and tore it down so they could haul it out.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I made a trip to Climax Co. once to do some mods on 475's Climax Moly is what I think the name of the place was. I think we were testing hydraulics for overheating. Dead of winter, hard to get them warmm never mind overheating.

Bigstevex4

Funny set up sevrial 475s 380s up there climax moly they all had detroits in them nice place shop sat at 1300 ft still work for the same company worked on lots clark equipment my dad worked for the same company he spent alot of time up there. trying to think of the clark rep in our area. lived in pueblo i think. I remember gale he had a heart attack and died motel right next to the old shop before i started there he wa saposed to go with my dad that day he went over and found him that was in the 70s

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I can't remember the reps name right off hand, young guy, a little goofy but smart, really good on engines. Gale Stokes and I worked together at different times. I spent a couple of years in the Lab at Benton Harbor. I know Gale was in the lab once and a 475 wheel and tire fell on him, any smaller man would have died. I worked a lot of 380 Coal Dozers at Georgia Power, they had about 25 or 30 of them. I kept all my service books, I'll try to look the reps name up.

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
That's a Detroit 16V92 under that hood man! Can never get enough noise from a detroit!