• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

michigan 75GMIIIA--charge pump leak down

tree_man150

Occupation
tree service owner--i trim and remove trees
i read a post on here once that someone put a u shape bend in the suction line of their charge pump and it fixed the problem they had with their machine.which was- all the oil back draining out of the pump thus making it have to prime itself when they started the machine--

the last couple times i started my machine and after a 5 minute warm up at idle. when i put in reverse to back up(low gear-low range)i get no responce even if i goose it--i'd say maybe half throttle-- i tried low forward--same thing-- tried putting it in netural and revving up the motor to prime the pump-(if thats whats going on) still no responce.. next i put it back in forward low and really stepped on it--i'd say 3/4 -throttle and that made the machine kinda try-but then nothing---went to reverse low--revved it up about the same , and it shifted into reverse..from that point on it worked fine. i used the machine for about 20 minutes and shut it down---the oil level is good in the transmission---it was changed out a couple weeks ago-and refilled with 32wt hydraulic oil--and thats because thats what came out of it when the oil was changed.
my machine has a u-shaped pipe on the suction side of the charge pump--to keep oil in the pump (i presume) so i am wondering if i'm getting air in the pump somehow that would let the oil be siphoned out of the pump--or should i be looking at something else that might be the problem?
thanks to one and all--

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
There is a suction screen behind the drain plug at the bottom side of the transmission may be plugged and has a hard time letting cold oil through.