• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan L70... Head gasket?

bryceheinz

Got the loader running today, when we went to load it on the cary-all I had it in first gear with my foot to the floor and the thing would barely go up the ramps. Very slow throttle response also. Got it into the shop and found no coolant and oil that was about 6" past full. There is white goo when looking through the oil fill on the valve cover. It also took some time to build oil psi when I started it at the shop. From my training I suspect a head gasket but does this have an oil cooler? Any ways to test teh Head gasket?

wildhorse trnr

Occupation
Field Technician
Sounds like a head gasket. I can't remember if those had an oil cooler on the block or not. Are you getting any over pressure in the radiator?
Do you have a miss in the engine?
I recently had a slightly larger loader with coolant in the oilpan, and also low power/hard starting, but it sounded like it was missing. I had 2 bad cylinders(due to ether), also I had bad liner o-rings on a cylinder.

Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I think your engine may be cooked anyway with possible bearing and piston damage. I doubt if the high oil level would create enough drag to rob that amount of power. You might be able to pull the oil pan off and visually see where the leak is, otherwise pressurize the cooling system with about 10 psi and then look again. Might be anything from a frost plug under the valve cover to a pin-hole in one of the liners. If you have an oil cooler, I think it would have to be removed to pressure test it. Head gasket failures are usually gradual and once removed you won't be able to do the rad pressure test.:) Phil