• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Move Fast and Break Things SR220 Fault Codes

SR220noob

So I'm new to this, dunno what I'm doing, watched a friend sort of ram some cedar trees with his backhoe, so I my skid steer has more horsepower and "breakout force", whatever that is, than his backhoe so I figured I could do the same thing. So I rammed some trees with my bucket. At first it was going great. Cedar trees don't hold on too hard in limestone soil. You know what Elon Musk says, Move Fast and Break Things, otherwise you're never going to accomplish anything in life. But then I met my poor little SR220's match. The tree didn't budge. And now my SR220 won't budge. Engine starts but no response from the joysticks. I think I busted the hydraulics, because there is no hydraulic fluid left in the sight glass, and I got a code 4431. Actually I have a number of codes, a few that I can't locate on any lists of codes. Here are the codes:
4431 (something to do with parking brake solenoid or pressure switch)
4465.9 (mysterious code i can't find)
4466.0 (mysterious code i can't find)
SPEED
CTRL (is somebody trying to tell me something?)
1203 (I think this one may be unrelated. I have a newly installed Case alternator yet I get occasional warning bells and low 11.5 voltage. probably because of all the busted wires there is a voltage leak somewhere)

Anybody have any idea what these mysterious codes are and any advice on what I should do?

Attachments

• code1.jpg
    code1.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 3
  • code2.jpg
    code2.jpg
    880.7 KB · Views: 1
  • code3.jpg
    code3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • code4.jpg
    code4.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It looks like your brakes are locked up. Which could be part of the 4431 code. You might try working the brake release button, both on the handle and the console and see if you can get it up locked. It could also be a safety switch. Bounce your self hard in the seat to see if you can trigger the seat sensor. See if you are losing hyd fluid, but I would refill it and see if you are losing it out of line break. That machine should take 10w-30 as hyd fluid.

SR220noob

It looks like your brakes are locked up. Which could be part of the 4431 code. You might try working the brake release button, both on the handle and the console and see if you can get it up locked. It could also be a safety switch. Bounce your self hard in the seat to see if you can trigger the seat sensor. See if you are losing hyd fluid, but I would refill it and see if you are losing it out of line break. That machine should take 10w-30 as hyd fluid.
Well, bouncing up and down in the seat didn't work, and removing the tree with a backhoe that the skid steer was stuck against didn't work. pushing all the parking brake buttons didn't work. holding them down didn't work. holding down the Aux override button didn't work. unhooking the battery didn't work. i'm going to call the dealer in the morning and ask them about those codes. and have a mechanic look for the hydraulic leak / pump drive coupler. i'm not gonna look for it, one of my hands is broken in an unrelated incident.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Well you might want to use the backhoe and pull the machine away from the tree. The cab flips forward and if there is a tree in the way that will be an issue. You may also want to use the backhoe to lift the loader arms with the back hoe and lock them up in the air with the arm lock (which is the red bar on the loader arm). There is a relief lever inside the cab, its a button, you will need to pull up on that to allow the loader arms to come up. Doing this stuff yourself will save the mechanic from having to do it, making the visit less costly.

SR220noob

Well you might want to use the backhoe and pull the machine away from the tree. The cab flips forward and if there is a tree in the way that will be an issue. You may also want to use the backhoe to lift the loader arms with the back hoe and lock them up in the air with the arm lock (which is the red bar on the loader arm). There is a relief lever inside the cab, its a button, you will need to pull up on that to allow the loader arms to come up. Doing this stuff yourself will save the mechanic from having to do it, making the visit less costly.
We already pulled the tree away from the machine. It wasn't THAT big of a tree. thanks for the arm lift suggestion.
No oil in system will cause that, too.
Failed hose?
it is funny you say this, because I just got this skid steer from the shop, and it arrived 3 quarts low on oil, which I thought was mighty odd, like they didn't check the oil when it arrived? (i acquired the thing in a trade and sent it directly to the shop for repairs) or was it leaking oil when it was sitting in their lot waiting on parts? could it have run dry of oil in 1 day? i will check.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What's the secret? In close to a dozen dead Case skid steers I've never once had that red button do anything other than allow the arms to lower. Pulling it while lifting the arms only resulted in the wheels coming off the ground every time.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have never had that not work on any of mine. I am not sure why sometimes it must not work.

SR220noob

Well, got it to the shop and it was 2 busted hydraulic lines. One had been rubbing for a long time. I guess that tree was the stick that broke the camel's back. Nothing else seems to be wrong besides a littany of codes that seems to give me trouble most of the time releasing the joysticks after I press the operate button, but that was happening before, though not as bad. I used to be able to hold the baby seat thing, whatever that thing is that you have to lift to get into the chair, I used to be able to hold that up for a long time while turning it on, and that would prevent the exclamation point from flashing and I could operate it. Now it doesn't seem to help. I get the JOYNO code. I have to just wait for a while maybe 5-10 minutes and eventually it decides to release control to me. Pressing the operate button to stop and get out of the vehicle is problematic because the problem starts up again as soon as I get back in. I feel like it needs a full software or firmware reset, or something.

ozarkag

The JoyNu code says the joysticks were not centered when you tried to release Park. They tend to wear and get a little loose on centering. Try moving them just a little, kind of hold against the wobbles while trying to unlock.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If you have a habit of placing your hand on the left control handle while hitting the park release with your right hand, moving your left hand at all will trigger JoyNu. Leave you hand off the left joystick and see if that helps. The idea of that is if your inputting movement with your hands when you release the brake it would move suddenly when the brake releases. So they you make sure your in neutral before releasing the brake.