• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MPH Mowing Brush w/ Brush Hog Attachement

Silveroddo

Hey there,
trying to figure out what kind of production a guy should be able to get with a skidsteer and brush mower attachment mowing trails that are pretty much grass up to 2-3 inch alders and brush. Its been awhile since we've done any of this type of work and I really don't have any good way to go back and see what our production had been, it was all guessing that came out pretty close.
Is 1 MPH a reasonable speed to assume?
The machine I'm looking at using would be a PT-50 terex and brush hog attachement. not sure what the attachement is.
Everything we have done previously was with an 853 bobcat and a brush wolf attachement so I'm sure this would be a little faster and better machine for the job.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
for the past week have been running a td5050 new holland with a bat wing behind it usually running all the right deck and middle mostly for mowing occasionally getting an area to use all 15 foot of deck guy i was running with said we mowed 5 miles worth of road in 10 hrs. dont know if that was counting both sides or just how long the road was moving in about range 1 gear 3 to 4

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Keep in mind your speed/production is relative to how good a cut job you desire. Had a customer that rented our biggest brush cutter, mounted it on a T200 Bobcat, and said it would start slowing down. Had him bring brush cutter and his machine to us, had him go down the street from our yard to a power line area that had heavy growth. Told him to have at it so we could see how the machine/cutter reacts. Now this was heavy growth. He pegged out the throttle, and threw the drive levers to the max. I about busted a gut laughing watching a Bobcat go through growth and all you could see was the top of his cab! :tong Point is, it cut the stuff down, but not that well, he was going way too fast for the cutter to do a good job. As for the cutter slowing down in this case, pretty easy to see he was getting his oil hot at the speed he was going through this heavy stuff. I told him the Bobcat has an oil cooler, but it's cooling capacity is designed for general work duty. What he was doing was putting an extreme load on the brush cutter motor which will heat up oil beyond capacity of oil cooler. Solution? Back off a little bro. :cool:

trainwreck

if qball is mowing you wont get much done, but you will need new fence wire and cable for your tv. lol

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
trainwreck, i thank you.
i hope it pours for your next wreck.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Find something simular and go test it out... From what I do with a 10' twin spindle mower and a 90hp. tractor I can get about 3-4 mph in grass, golden rod, and light brush. don't mess with trees too much though. Depending on how many trees you are working with it might pay to run a foresty head thru the trees and leave the brush hog for the grass.