• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Multimeter recommendation

Old Doug

I found this one at a pawn shop i also have a new Greenlee DM45. There is just something about a analog meter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_070035.jpg
    IMG_20230407_070035.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 6

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I used to think I liked analog meters but they are fragile and the needle does not respond very quickly. The Fluke 115 and a few others have a bar graph across the bottom that moves quicker than a needle and shows fluctuating voltages very well.

JD955SC

Fluke 87V is the standard for a reason.

Electrical testing can be so iffy at times that you want the best equipment in your corner for the confidence it’s an accurate result. A flicker of voltage can mean the difference between judging a $5000 ECM good or condemning it.

The detachable display one is very cool BUT it eats batteries like I eat cookies.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That is why I use a scope for things like that. Not even a Fluke is fast enough to capture some of the intermittent voltage issues.
What scope do you use? Sorry if I asked this question before. I have not been able to figure what hand held battery operated scope to get. I still lug around old CRT scopes.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’ve got a snap on meter and also an electronic specialties meter. both work equally well but the es meter was about $100. Honestly everything I’ve ever tried from es is above average, especially the load pro leads.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Fluke makes a scope meter. I found it had too big a learning curve for a meter I only used once and a while. Cam

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What scope do you use?

I just use the basic Pico 2204A 2 channel. I just wanted a really fast voltmeter, which is what a scope is. It also has a signal generator which I have used to test speed sensor wiring by providing an alternative signal to the ECU. I like to use it for CAN testing as well. The Pico software is free and the hardware is about $150. Add things like longer leads, attenuators (because the 2204 has a 20V input max), 100:1 lead (same reason) and amp clamps, my total cost was below $500. There is a YouTuber called Mechanic Mindset, who shows you how to use the 2204 for automotive use. That has been a help, since I didn't want to fry my unit.

At my age, I don't plan on spending any more money for things like this, however I am intrigued by this little scope below. Have not researched it much, but the reviews are pretty good. For $125, I tempted to buy one to try it. With the Pico, setting up with the laptop, hardware and leads can sometimes be a PINA. That is why I always grab my Fluke first. My scope is for those really difficult intermittent problems and it is worth the setup time when it helps you solve those mysteries.

HANMATEK scope

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That is why I always grab my Fluke first. My scope is for those really difficult intermittent problems and it is worth the setup time when it helps you solve those mysteries.
That is why I like the Fluke with bar graph so much. There is a video I refer back to when I have data bus problems that just shows a regular old Fluke providing enough info for the mechanic to know what to do when comms go haywire. This works on CANBUS and I have used it on other similar data methods like RS485.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Bought an OTC meter a bout 23 years ago, was about $400 back then in a kit with amp clamp and other accessories, has always worked great. When I worked at the dealership another tech had the same meter and one day he said it wasn't reading correct so gave it to me saying it might be good for parts, so I tested it and sure it was off, so put a new battery in it and works perfect, keep my load pro leads on that one.

mekanik

I have a Fluke 77 that I bought in 1986 that has been well used and is still going strong.
ebrqhP2.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Now on the subject of test leads. I have tried them all. I prefer these by far. They are a little time consuming to screw on and off. But they work the best. The piercing function is useless but I have a set of needles for back probing and I will pierce with those if forced to.

Amprobe TL-35

iu

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
There is a video I refer back to when I have data bus problems

I have seen that video and also use it for reference.

I have a Fluke 77 that I bought in 1986 that has been well used and is still going strong

That is what I traded for Fluke 115 about 5 years ago because I wanted the MIN/MAX feature and the ability to read frequency.

I found this one at a pawn shop

LOL. This is what is on my workbench in the basement.

IMG_2029.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You gents talking scopes and frequencies are all way over my head. The best meter I ever had was a twenty year old Simpson I traded some busted dental pick for. The guy had just bought an expensive digital meter and didn't think he needed this old black cased analog meter anymore. Thirty years later the Simpson finally died in a way that I couldn't bring it back. Got cheap Craftsman digital to replace it with.

All the high dollar meters I've seen had severe issues with the wet climate here. Riding in a service truck it seems the green mung infiltrates the battery cases over time and grows into the electronics like a mold working its way through a piece of fruit.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Can't beat an old Simpson 260 series 1, 2, or 3 for lifetime and usability in all but the most critical applications. I have a Fluke 87 model 5 I like a lot also, but that old Simpson still gets used often. Used the Fluke a lot when testing pick up and dropout voltages on gensets along with in phase monitoring alignments. Always carried these meters, and a Biddle megger for cable runs with Tektronics scopes along with numerous attenuators, 50, 75, and 62 ohm impedance cables, dummy loads, and connectors. Kinda favored Wavetek sweep generators and Hewlet-Packard spectrum analyzers. Counters were a mix of Tektronix, Hewlet-Packard, or Zenith. Everything had it's advantages and detractors and having pick of the litter was nice.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Speaking of analog meters, sometimes a non- low impedance ohm meter is the tool for the job. I’d love to get my hands on a sweet Simpson 260 or the like. Off to EBay.

Love that 77 Mekanik. I have a 77 my parents purchased for me as a Christmas present in 88. That was a big purchase them, bless their hearts. Made in Merica’ .

The 87 is the way to go. The 115 is a great field meter and fits in the hand better. Much more affordable. Hit the pawn shops near any University, state college or trade school about mid fall semester and great deals will be found. Students hawking their gear for party money.

I taught automotive and diesel electricity for 15 years. The students learned faster using Fluke, for a number of reasons. Autoranging is a big benefit, vs having 50 settings. And knowing what the decimal is doing. Measurement confidence is a big thing vs many of the off-brands that are often inconsistent.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I have seen that video and also use it for reference.

That is what I traded for Fluke 115 about 5 years ago because I wanted the MIN/MAX feature and the ability to read frequency.

LOL. This is what is on my workbench in the basement.

View attachment 283578

I have that same meter handed down from my Dad. Still going strong. Purchased some time in the early 80’s.