• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

my 135 massey

bibs

about a 1972 3 cyl perkins runs good and strong but when you really work it ,she slows up over 30 seconds and dies.Will not start till it cooled down,then the same thing over again.{no throttle responce} It sat now for 1 year and dont want to start She is squirting at the front injector. A small snort of either and it almost went but i was told either is not good to use. Would a bad generator cut power to the glow plugs? because i remember we used to pull it and away it would go.I see theres lots of wobbling in the generator.
thanks bob

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That sucks, Mr. bibs. She sounds like a helluva rig. Can’t let her just sit around. There might be taters to plow or something.

it’s not going to be one thing. The problem is age related and it will require a number of little repairs. I would do this:

After a good visual inspection, remove and test the glow plugs. Numerous threads on how to do it.

Check compression. Send the nozzles to Pumpguy for testing. Drain the old diesel and add fresh. Change fuel filters. Prime.

Give her a spin and see what happens. Or, hook up the Dually with a chain and pull the old girl until the water boils.

bibs

my worst fears...a pile of work theres plenty of that around here but the pays not to good.Anyway do you think a deisel would even run with no generator/alternator and a half dead battery? (tater season is just around the corner)
thanks bib

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Yeah, only thing that requires 12v is the fuel pump solenoid. Maybe, it doesn’t even have that. Probably don’t even need glow plugs in July. But, a fully functioning glow plug circuit would help with starting.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
Sounds like fuel. But first with anything sitting confirm your air is unobstructed and clean. There's nothing like finding that some mice have moved into the precleaner and filled it with plastic. Or worse that there's several inches of dead starlings solidly rotting in the pipe before the air filter.

Fuel anywhere from tank to injector can get restricted. A 197? Vintage can have a swamp monster of algae growing in the tank. There's likely a little screen in the tank that's got a black ball of snot on it. You'll get enough fuel for a squirt but not to run. I've been having problems with newer plastic tanks finally sucking up the drilling from the installation of the fuel intake.

I DO NOT think the generator has much to do with it. If you have low voltage from a bad wire or ground and a fuel shutoff solenoid that's electrical but will not be solved by replacing the generator or voltage regulator.

If you have glow plugs do not use starting fluid.

bibs

thanks for the valuble input ! its pinned down to fuel shooting out of the 2, 5/16 bolts on the side of the cav pump but none at the 3 lines at the back of the pump going to injectors.

Delmer

It's not that bad to take the cover off a Cav pump, but you have to be carefull of the springs and get them back exactly how they were. Maybe only one comes off? With the cover off, you can free up the shut off, "metering valve"? OR, flick the shut off back and forth, try some ATF with acetone run through the pump, then take the cover off it if still won't run.

Assuming this has a pull cable shut off? you can remove the belt, as long as it cranks, then the battery has plenty of juice to run the glow plugs, but that doesn't mean they're working. If the glow plugs aren't working, but the injection pump is, you'll get a fuel mist out the exhaust.

when you shut it off, turn the shut off back to run before leaving it, it won't stick in run, only sticks in off.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
We had a Ford 4600 that the little cable would kink over. You'd have to give it a flick and it would go into "run" position.

If it's a cable shutdown are you sure it's not holding the pump in shutdown, even a little bit?

Elvenhome21

To me that almost sounds like rings seizing or piston skirt smearing. I had a massey 50a with a Perkins that did something similar. Wound up being at one time in its life someone rebuilt it with the wrong rings/liners. Chrome rings in chrome liners. All the ring lands were broke and everything was micro welding.

bibs

Good day boys i sold the 135 ,hate to see it go but i can get on with more important jobs like my 4500 ford backhoe loader when i was foolishly driveing through the bush over 4 inch diameter trees one got into the clutch pedel now its freeplay somethings broke in the throwout shaft in there.Looks like its got to be split ...dammitall !!

Welder Dave

Too bad you sold it. 135's are legendary. It has thermo-start not glow plugs. Basically an element heats up and burns diesel in the intake. Common for the lift pump to need replaced or a kit put in it. 1 have a 1965 UK 135 (1st. year)and it's the most dependable machine I own.