• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My Avatar

VeePlow

I've gotten some requests for additional photos of the machine in my Avatar. These are some old company photos I have access to, unfortunately I never had the chance to see this thing in real life.

Clark 880B Skidder fitted with a Craig Vee-Plow.

Attachments

• VEE-PLOW-1.jpg
    VEE-PLOW-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,147
  • VEE-PLOW-2.jpg
    VEE-PLOW-2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,593
  • VEE-PLOW-3.jpg
    VEE-PLOW-3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 3,639
  • VEE-PLOW.jpg
    VEE-PLOW.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,394

nedly05

That is bad XXX, I am going to have to rig one up on my skidder, wish I was closer to you I would take the one you have!! I wonder how it plows? Sweet pics, very nice!!!:drinkup

bushcat

Occupation
heo
they use similar V plows and angle plows on skidders around here to plow roads across lakes for the diamond drill crews, they work really well!

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
not many of those skidders were made, the clark 880 crusher the company I work for had two late 80's early 90's that a lumber company used for a while and they said they were monsters

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
880 Clark Ranger - big skidder!

All I know about them is what I can read in an old advertisement. It was designed to pull 50,000 lb turns. Maximum line pull: 70,000 lb. Weight: 55,000 lb Engine: 8V71 Detroit or 903 Cummins. Tire size: 29.5 - 29, 16 ply. Fuel capacity: 150 gallons. Apparently this one had a steering wheel as opposed to the usual stick for the steering/blade.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
they are a horse! we used one to pick up railroad tracks on a demo job several years back and man did it work slick. modified the v-plow a little, got it aimed down the tracks and picked up several miles of track in very short order

VeePlow

they are a horse! we used one to pick up railroad tracks on a demo job several years back and man did it work slick. modified the v-plow a little, got it aimed down the tracks and picked up several miles of track in very short order

WHAT!? With what brand V-Plow? What did you do to modify it? (a little :p)

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
WHAT!? With what brand V-Plow? What did you do to modify it? (a little :p)
don't have a clue as to the brand it wasn't new by any stretch of the imagination. i narrowed it to about 6' and put two skis made of 1' plate just off center welded to the bottom of the plow and long enough to ride from 1 tie to the next. we pulled the spikes from the first 50 or 60 feet of track to get the rails to run up on the cutting edges and put the wood to it. peeled up track like a potato peeler. i came in with an excavator with a magnet on it and we cut everything into prepared lengths and picked them and all the loose spikes with the excavator. we did have some problems with flats untill the operator figuared out the faster he went the further the spikes would fly off to the side. as i recall he was kind of a wild and crazy type guy (had 2 speeds stopped and wide open) worked good though, but we were in pole yard with good flat ground. Don't expect to use the plow again without some serious rebuilding it tears them up pretty good.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Lol I would of love to of seen that from a distance...

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Does that beast have a skidder arm on the back or is it a dedicated snow plow?:confused:

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I worked in the Clark engineering Lab at St. Thomas, Ont plant and built a lot of the original prototype 880 in 1970, it had 307 HP 903 Cummins engine and a 70,000 Lb. line pull Carco winch. It was designed for the East Asian market to skid tropical hardwoods.
A lot of them ended up pulling choppers in site prep work after logging. It originally had a Clark 4 speed power shift Trans. similar to a 275 B front end loader. One company in Bogulusa, La. installed an 8 speed Clark Transmission out of a 280 Clark Michigan rubber tired dozer.