• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Ha! I loved this post! Still love it! Love the barn too that is cool! I have that exact chain hoist (see picture) its pretty old. Also the General Mowee in its state of deck rebuild. Oh well were never bored are we Boone?!!

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 43

boone

There's always something to do Fred. Looks like you're going whole hog on the deck rebuild. Just spindles and pulleys or are you having to reinforce the deck any? You'll be flattin' the hills and straightenin' the curves in no time.

That hoist has been used for a lot of things. I've pulled a few of my 310 cylinders apart with it. It's my brother's. He's on my speed dial :)

boone

Speaking of never getting bored...when we used the loader last we noticed a puddle of oil underneath. The two loader/hoist/boom whatever you call them cylinders have always seeped oil, but never bad. Well, they're starting to seep bad. While we were using it as an anchor for the barn pictures couple of posts back, one was pushing out a good bit of oil.

On the hunt for a seal kit. Ended up buying from Bull Dog. We've used Baum before, but Bull Dog had a pretty good breakdown on the serial numbers so we knew for sure we needed the one piece piston kit as opposed to what Marcus posted where he has the two-piece piston. They arrived fed-ex in about three days very nicely packaged. Came out to about $260 for both kits, tax and shipping.

IMG_20210505_084009948.jpg IMG_20210505_084111612.jpg

boone

So last Saturday we planned to pull one rod out bring it back to Dad's shop repack it, install and then do the other side.

Met Dad and brother early for breakfast at the ole Gin House for coffee and bacon. Then over to the farm for loader surgery.

Blocked up using the factory support.

IMG_20210508_082641883.jpg

Yah, this ought to be fun.

IMG_20210508_082552833.jpg

The mechanics

IMG_20210508_082711907.jpg

boone

The little craftsmen ratchet on the track didn't quite remove the head bolts...wishful thinking. Used the big snap-on rachet...she got 'er done.

I didn't get any pictures, but we used the hoist to pull the rod out of the barrel. I wiggled the lift lever to relieve pressure so we didn't have to remove any hoses getting it out.

Check out this rod. Anyone see anything wrong?

IMG_20210508_100830690_HDR.jpg IMG_20210508_105256610_HDR.jpg

Welder Dave

Slight bend but can be straightened if done correctly. Probably best to have a cylinder shop with a press do it. I think you have to put pressure and leave it slightly past straight, then it goes straight when pressure taken off. I could be off but someone will know. Wouldn't hurt to take some fine emery cloth type paper and polish it. Shops will spin it to polish it so might be worth having done if you take it to get straightened. That's a darn nice loader!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Friends own a family excavation company spread over two states, several generations. Charlie, who died a few years ago started the company in 1959 before the excavator was invented. He moved earth with cable shovels & crawlers. He was obsessed with IH 175 loaders. Since before his death dozens of 175 loaders have come to the roadside with for sale signs. Each sells in a month or less. I count three left scattered over the property. One is out by the road. The Drott bucket equipped ones have been hoarded.

I will bet a good hydraulic shop will replace that rod rather than risk a failed attempt to straighten.

Welder Dave

It depends on how bad the bend is. I read of an amount where they should be replaced but can't remember. My bucket cylinders apparently had I think, a .010" bend and they straightened them. They also had them re-chromed. I think the shop may have just rebuilt them so they could charge me more. $1750.00 for bucket cylinders on a 1yd. loader.

boone

Slight 'kink' is right DMiller. We recollected that when we bought the machine and were raising the arms to the max height that it made a shudder noise but it was hard to tell where it was coming from and if it was binding. The lift has always had plenty of power. But, ten years later and the mystery is solved.

Welder Dave, the rod definitely needs polishing. It's scuffed pretty bad where in the bend. We're hoping the gland is ok. We couldn't slide the gland up past the bend. I'll post some pics with it on a level.

Willie, I used to see 175s around a lot, but it seems I don't see many around anymore like I used to. Maybe they're tucked away somewhere. Who knows. We've talked about selling this one, but can't bring ourselves to do it.

We called around to about three hydraulic shops in the area and priced having a new rod made. Prices ranged from $300 up to $750. We went with a place in Iron City, TN. He said he'd do it for $300 or $400. Dad dropped it off at his shop yesterday. Probably have it back in a week. He didn't have any 2.5" rod on hand.

Here's a few 'kinky' pics. Some of the scuffs are pretty evident on the outer edges of the bow. They'll grab a fingernail for sure.

IMG_0588[1].JPG IMG_0589[1].JPG IMG_0590[1].JPG IMG_0597[1].JPG

Welder Dave

Probably the best way to go. I think fixing the scratches all depends on how deep the hard chrome on the rod is. My stick cylinder rod was polished when they threaded it for a larger bolt to hold the piston. They wanted to sell a new rod(and weld eye back on) but I suggested drilling and tapping for a larger bolt and that saved me a little $$$. Apparently Cat has a thicker hard chrome plating than some other cylinders. The rod is definitely a different colour after polishing but doesn't leak or creep now. I think it was still $1300 or $1700 to fix. Can't or maybe don't want to remember but hard to use a backhoe where the piston bolt pulled out of the rod. Curious why Cat uses bolts when a lot of others use big nuts on the rod?

boone

I had a bent stabilizer rod on my 310 when I got it. It had a bad leak. I had the rod replaced and resealed at a different shop than we're using for this rod. They cut the eye off and machined the threaded part. The 310 also uses a nut. This boom cylinder on the 175 is different from the tilt cylinder in that the nut on the boom is recessed where the nut on the tilt protruded out. Must use a socket on this rod whereas the tilt one could use a pipe wrench...not that it's advisable. Good question on the use of the bolt vs nut. Seems like a bolt would thread in further offering a bit stronger holding force than a nut.

Hoping the other side cylinder isn't bent as well.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I had a bent stabilizer rod on my 310 when I got it. It had a bad leak. I had the rod replaced and resealed at a different shop than we're using for this rod. They cut the eye off and machined the threaded part. The 310 also uses a nut. This boom cylinder on the 175 is different from the tilt cylinder in that the nut on the boom is recessed where the nut on the tilt protruded out. Must use a socket on this rod whereas the tilt one could use a pipe wrench...not that it's advisable. Good question on the use of the bolt vs nut. Seems like a bolt would thread in further offering a bit stronger holding force than a nut.

Hoping the other side cylinder isn't bent as well.
175 is a stiff bucket one side gets ice in it somehow. other side is powerful enough to bend it.

boone

That's not bad Willie. I looked back through my records and the shop charged $450 to make the 310 stabilizer rod and repack the cylinder. The reseal was a bit less cause I'd already taken it apart. This was the same shop that took my money on a joke valve bank rebuild, so I'm trying to find alternate places if possible.

Must have had an offset load or something on it at one time. I'm probably better off not knowing :)

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
That's not bad Willie. I looked back through my records and the shop charged $450 to make the 310 stabilizer rod and repack the cylinder. The reseal was a bit less cause I'd already taken it apart. This was the same shop that took my money on a joke valve bank rebuild, so I'm trying to find alternate places if possible.

Must have had an offset load or something on it at one time. I'm probably better off not knowing :)
Long story, I have a IH 385 Utility tractor. Previous owner got water in transmission. Some found its way to one hydraulic cylinder, & froze. They tried to force it, bent the dry cylinder rod.

boone

Willie, seems some of those older tractors had big hydraulic power. I'm wondering if someone had the bucket on this machine raised and was ramming a tree or something immovable. The bend is up where the cylinder was almost fully extended.

We got the rod back from the shop Monday. Guy seemed to do a nice job. His $300 to $400 estimate was a bit off. It ended up being $582. By the time you factor in seals and lost fluid, this this little project is going to be a bit spendy.

IMG_20210518_181349309.jpg

This really shows the bend.

IMG_20210518_181732141.jpg

New kit going in. The gland had some scoring on it. It was a bit egg shaped. Hole measured .508" side to side, .546" up and down where the wear is. Not sure what the tolerance allows. This one measures .038". We polished the marks on the inside of the gland to remove ridges. It went back together nice and tight. I don't think it will leak.

IMG_20210518_183710389.jpg

IMG_20210518_195447217.jpg

Hope to put it in Friday.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You got past a hydraulic cylinder repair for $600.!!!!!!! Go to church, thank God, pray to whatever God you pray to for more of the same good fortune. I'd brag forever if I got out that cheap. Might marry the guy who did it, (& I'm married & don't even like boys!)

boone

LOL! Thanks for making me feel better about it. Just hard to spend any money on it when it's not used much anymore.