• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new 2013 cat d6k2 with trimble gcs900

ncdodgeman20

hello everyone I just purchased a 2013 cat d6k2 with the trimble gcs900 and the cb460 monitor and there is a radio on top of the cab. I know nothing about gps systems so my question is what do I need to get this system working for just 2d jobs and level pads i was told trough cat i need to buy a base station and rover as well the dozer already has the receivers on the blade and when i turn the system on inside the cab it just says gps signal low? Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• 20200612_164819.jpg
    20200612_164819.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 32

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums ncd!

From my little knowledge of GPS you will need a base station in order to triangulate the GPS signal. Other members on here are far more knowledgable than I.

BidBandit

For 2D you need an affordable base, really don't even need the rover unless you want to localize your elevations of the job site. Been down this road lots of times if you have any questions. If you come up with a base all you have to do set the base up and go bench on a known elevation and work from that. You can find used bases fairly reasonable, the expensive stuff is already on the dozer.

AMBMike

For 2D you need an affordable base, really don't even need the rover unless you want to localize your elevations of the job site. Been down this road lots of times if you have any questions. If you come up with a base all you have to do set the base up and go bench on a known elevation and work from that. You can find used bases fairly reasonable, the expensive stuff is already on the dozer.
I'm late to this party but I see an opportunity to learn something new.
Is it possible to set up a Trimble base station on a new site without connecting it to a data collector? Every time I move our base station to another site it gives an error message (I forget the exact wording) until I connect a data collector and set it up on the new site.
It's easy enough to set up a flat pad, sloping pad, slope, swale, etc right from the screen of the CB460. If you have the rover you can design a more complex site including flat and sloping pads, swales and driveways right from the site itself using the data collector. You can then export your design to the CB460 in the dozer using a thumb drive. Get a good used base and rover setup. You won't regret it!

BidBandit

You can set them up without the data collector. Yours must be set to default to auto-base, so if it can't find a previously used location it reads error and won't transmit data. You can go in settings and choose app file default or base anywhere and it will make up it's location and start spitting out corrections. Just keep in mind it's not localized to that job site.

AMBMike

You can set them up without the data collector. Yours must be set to default to auto-base, so if it can't find a previously used location it reads error and won't transmit data. You can go in settings and choose app file default or base anywhere and it will make up it's location and start spitting out corrections. Just keep in mind it's not localized to that job site.
That's good to know, thank you!