• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new crane and mag genset

hmburner

The new recycling company that i was recently hired at required a mag crane. I just happen to know where there is one that has been sitting dormant for the past 12 years. Long story about that crane but long story short,this crane brought me good karma. We paid 20 grand for the crane and mag generator with a 48 inch Ohio mag included in the package. After 8 hours use the little russian Belarus air cooled diesel that turns the generator for the mag blew up. I phone around and buy a Miller big four welder with a bad generator head that is powered by a Perkins 4.154. I graft in our mag generator and now we have a little Perkins powered genset that just purrs under load. Here are some pics to enjoy.

P.S. On this 235B that we bought is a little button that looks like a dimmer switch on a car located between the drive pedals on the floor, anyone know what it is for ? IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 23

Tim.pin

Occupation
Tradworker
Very good looking machine for something that has been sitting for 12 years! A Good buy indeed. Usually, things start deteriorating on their own if not in use.. you should probably have a good mechanic do a full inspection on it just in case.

hmburner

We had a Cat tech come down and inspect it before we bought it and it was given the green light. The only problem with it so far is I had to replace the starter on the main engine. No problems with the perkins genset and both start easy in the cold weather with no block heaters

Old Doug

I would love to have the magnet at my place for a day or 2. Scrap is up some and i have some #2 prepared that i need to lowed.

Old Doug

Plate and structual is going up 50 next month so I have been working through the holidays
Its been going up here why and how do you know this? I have been messing with scrap for years talked to alot of guys that are rich because of the scrap market but looking back if some one said it was going up it went down.

hmburner

Before we got the machine it was used to shear up 36 inch I beam out of bridges. Thats when the blades were good. The best I can do now is about 14 inch with worn out blades. We have a new set of blades for it,but I am trying to get the last few miles out of the old set since 5 new blades are 3 K a set plus a couple of days buildup and hardfacing on the piercing tip

skyking1

I ran a concrete cruncher on a job that was similar but smaller jaw. I'd crunch up reinforced beams, then strip out and pile the rebar.

hmburner

The guys that we bought the shear from had another machine with a concrete crusher jaw on it. It did a real nice job on seperating the rebar out of the concrete while we were standing there watching. Of course,we then bought all the seperated rebar and are going to start shearing it up soon as I shim the blades on the shear (rebar is real hard on blades )

Old Doug

Do you have any problem selling rebar they dont like it here and alot of places wouldnt take it.

hmburner

SAM_2646.JPG We mix it in with the #2 HMS. We have a 5000 ton order on that so the mill will never notice. I can only shear up to 3/4 rtebar,the bigger stuff will have to be torched. At the other yard I used to work at ,we used to bale the rebar and sell it that way,but again,only the small stuff. We had a crane operator that decided to try and bale 3'' rebar and blew the whole back wall and the ram cylinder out of the baler. That was 2 months of welding and 60 grand for a new cylinder. Here is a pic of m,y Aljon baler

hmburner

Rebar is made from poor quality steel and its very hard to make any weight with it unless it is sheared up small. It is also a real pain at the mill to load the pot with. This is why a lot of yards dont like it. Think of what it would be like to process a 2 ton brillo pad.