• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

N14 R Model

nicste

As a project I would like to put a 500hp N14 Celect into a Mack R model and couple that to a 18 speed Eaton. The truck is a Mack R797 that had a V8 that was removed 20 years ago.
Has anyone done a electronic engine conversion like this, what is needed from the electronic side. This will be a restored hobby truck more than a work horse.
Any help would be much appreciated

cfherrman

I put a N14 in place of a 2 stroke. You will need the pedal that came with the (N14) truck or find a pedal that will work. The engine needs a 12v to the computer to run. Put a fan switch in for the fan. Done.

You will have to install sensors for gauges in the cab.

nicste

I put a N14 in place of a 2 stroke. You will need the pedal that came with the (N14) truck or find a pedal that will work. The engine needs a 12v to the computer to run. Put a fan switch in for the fan. Done.

You will have to install sensors for gauges in the cab.
Vey much what I was thinking, after chatting to a few people they said it would be complex and I should rather fit a 855. I think it will be a great combination and a interesting project

colson04

I've never swapped an OEM engine for an alternate, but if I were to, I would look for a dead truck that had the engine I wanted for all the peripheral parts. Engine mounts, sensors, wiring harness, gauges, etc.

Years ago, I helped a guy dismantle 2 different donor trucks. He was building a '46 Chevy 1½ ton pickup with a Cummins 5.9L drive train and needed a lot of the parts that his donor trucks provided. Made it a lot easier and more budget friendly than trying to piecemeal all the parts together from endless searching on the internet.

cfherrman

I don't see how running 4 wires is complex lol

1 for the ecm

3 for the pedal

Although you will have to find a wiring diagram for your ecm and pick out those 4 wires

I'm going to switch my pedal over to air throttle since I have 3 different throttle inputs all air, right now I have an air actuator pushing the pedal down.