• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with PT pump on 12 cylinder Cummins

Acesneights1

We have a KTA2300 Genset from 70's here at work and the PT pump is leaking fuel and needs to be rebuilt/resealed. How difficult is this to do ? I have pulled them off 855 Small cams before and this one looks the same but there is no air compressor. The PT pump is driven by an old Woodward hydraulic governor(basically in place of the air compressor) . I know there is no timing involved with these but I am not sure if I will have to mess with the governor once the new pump is in or this one rebuilt. Also it looks very tight to get to one of the 4 bigger 12 pt bolts (bottom mounting inside towards motor). If I can't get that bolt out then I would assume I have to pull the Woodward Governor and PT all in one ? Has anyone done this job ?

Attachments

• PT pump top.jpg
    PT pump top.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • Governor.jpg
    Governor.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 33

Acesneights1

I need to clarify, I only need to pull the pump and reinstall it. We will send it out for rebuild.

Acesneights1

I am hoping these 4 bolts are all I need to remove however inside bottom looks very tight.

Attachments

• pt dissas.jpg
    pt dissas.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 24

Acesneights1

For reference this is the whole unit. 12 cyl Cummins circa 1977. about 200 hrs.

Attachments

• left ooverview.jpg
    left ooverview.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Or with a little help from a heating tip you can make your own. Might want to hit Harbor Fright and buy a couple 7/16 wrenches to work with.

Zewnten

Site called apex industries sells a lot of the cummins specialty tools, or at least gives you an idea for what you need to fab.