• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Imput!

Ole JIM

Occupation
Retired
I have been asked by a freind to assit in Looking over & his Buying a Tri-Axle--Heres what He has a favorable idea of?--a 1987 FORD 9000--425Cat w/ a 13 speed R/R--w/hendrickson 40,000 rears?< not Positive?--the Fords Looks in Excelent Condition--clean looks like New? inside & Out--Good Rubber all Round nice Dump Body--18 yrd?--Floats on Front--Sharpe Nice Looking Truck! the NO NOs!--Exhaust Exits behind CAB-NO heated Body!--but has AIR & Pindle Hook in Rear! & hand Operated Cover--He plans to Haul-Gravel-Ect & Hot Top!--& in Winter SNOW--Trucks Price--$45,000--I personally would Like a Heated BODY! & a Power Cover!--I measured the front Floats--aprox 1/2 tread--I called the Previous Owner!--He SOLD His Entire FLEET!--& has Gone out of Business--but He Insisted all of His Equipment was 100 % & He Has the Service Records of each Unit & would Gladly Show Them if WE were interested!--& I Quoted the Selling Price!--& HE stated they Were NOT making very Much? on that Truck--So WHO do You Beleive?--NEED IMPUT Guys! What Do You THINK?--THANKS in Advance! --Ole JIM--

kamerad47

I don't like floats, Light front end (can't cap them & used them on the rear, 40,000 rears are small no good in any offroad work ! Is the body alum or steel exhaust rotts the steel out ! $45.000 is premium for that truck!

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
If the inside of the cab and outside of the truck are in good shape and well taken care of, I'd imagine the running gear has also been well taken care of. This isn't always the case, but it seems to be more common than not. The price seems a bit high, but dump trucks also seem to be in short supply. The front tires wouldn't bother me, but I'd prefer 46K rears. Given the condition you described and the offer to review the service records, I'd be inclined to believe him.

huffmanmb

Occupation
IUOE Apprentice Equipment Operator
Can offer a comparison... We bought a 1987 KW W900B, 4 Axle, Big Cam 3 400 Hp, 18 spd, 46K 2spd Rear Ends, 18K Steer with 385 65 R 22.5 SS, 16/18yd Steel Box, Daul Stacks and Breathers, All Alum Wheels, Full Pup Trl Hookups and drop hitch, with a Q/C Air Slide Fifth Wheel and log hauling gear (cab gaurd, bunk/bolster, and stinger hitch) for $40,000.00.

We run the bigger steer tires because of the bridge/weight laws in Washington State. I can pack up to 18K on the steer if I need to. They are hell in slime, but on soft roads I dont tear the surface up when turning. Only other benefit is we an outlet to cap them and we run them on the three axle pup trl it tows.

Ole JIM, What kind of Hendrickson suspension? Leaf spring over walking beam, biscut/pad, air? Being a 40k I would imagine a biscut over beam style?

Also being in NW Washington I have never come across a heated box. What does the heating system consist of?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
On a heated dump body, the truck exhaust is directed through channels in the body. The results are marginal, but it can prevent your load from freezing in the body.