• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new member skidsteershopper from Colorado

My username says it: I'm needing to buy a new skid steer and am looking for users opinions on brands and dealers.

I have some land in Colorado, and bought a used Cat 262B several years ago. Since we're at 9000 feet in a remote part of the state, that skid steer was a life-changer. We used to have to carry snow shoes in the truck because we knew we'd often have to park on the highway and hike in. Since we've had the skid steer, it's just a matter of hiking to the barn, letting it warm up for a few minutes, and then pushing the drive clear. With the size (reach and weight) of the machine, I've been able to do all kinds of projects, like when I built the garage and used it to lift the whole stack of trusses up onto the 9-foot walls.

Unfortunately, my machine just developed serious engine problems, and it's not worth fixing, so I have to buy a new machine. I'm here hoping to learn from you guys' experience to get the best deal on something to replace my 262B.

crane operator

Unfortunately, my machine just developed serious engine problems, and it's not worth fixing, so I have to buy a new machine. I'm here hoping to learn from you guys' experience to get the best deal on something to replace my 262B.

What kind of serious engine problems and what kind of a quote to fix it?

Also- for anyone to really help, we need to know some kind of a price range for your new skid. Are you wanting to spend 20? 30? New 299' cat's are over $115-120,000.

Tyler d4c

I'm with crane operator a whole engine can be had for 8 or 10 thousand. The same money won't buy you much machine in today market.

Appreciate the replies, here. Was thinking this was just, "hello," and am posting in some of the more specific forums.

Since you guys responded, here, I will say that I pushed a bunch of snow with my CAT 262B one day. The very next day it started fine, but the exhaust didn't clear up (it was very cold, and I always let it idle until the exhaust clears up to before I push it). I decided it was just really cold overnight, so I started with an easy push across the flat. It was smoking, badly, and when I backed up I could smell engine oil. It had blown off the oil filler cap, and there were droplets of oil all over the back of the machine, under the exhaust stack. I tried putting the oil filler cap back in, and it blew that off within a few seconds.

Not too long ago I had to replace a drive motor, and that cost me over $7000 at CAT, so there's no way it would be worth having them work on it. I've found a local guy who seems pretty good at keeping equipment running. He thought he could get a reman engine for around $8000, but then he'd have time on it, so he estimated around $15,000 to fix it.

Tyler is right, for sure: $15,000 doesn't buy you much, today. But I was planning to buy a new skid when I retired. I think I just have to move that up a few years. I really liked the size/weight/performance of the 262B, so I'm hoping I can find a brand new replacement in the $50-60,000 range.

I have to admit, though, I've seen so many reports of problems with basically new machines, I'm worried about buying a low-hours machine, now. I feel like I might have to buy brand new, to make sure I have the warranty.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had something similar happen with my Cat 248, not sure if the 262B uses a similar engine. The crankcase breather had gotten condensation in it and that froze in a cold snap. The crankcase couldn't vent and gave the same symptoms you describe. I pulled the breather off and cleaned it, haven't had a problem since.

skyking1

I had something similar happen with my Cat 248, not sure if the 262B uses a similar engine. The crankcase breather had gotten condensation in it and that froze in a cold snap. The crankcase couldn't vent and gave the same symptoms you describe. I pulled the breather off and cleaned it, haven't had a problem since.
Wouldn't that be nice!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Did your mechanic actually diagnose what is wrong with the current engine?

crane operator

Personally, I would rather spend $15,000 on a reman engine, if that's what it really needs, as drop $60-80,000 on a tier 4 machine that's going to need def, and all its issues in cold weather. I have a lot of other things I would rather spend $45,000 on than a skid steer, just to get a warranty.

For no more hours than you are going to use a skid loader for, a new machine doesn't make any sense to me at all.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Personally, I would rather spend $15,000 on a reman engine, if that's what it really needs, as drop $60-80,000 on a tier 4 machine that's going to need def, and all its issues in cold weather. I have a lot of other things I would rather spend $45,000 on than a skid steer, just to get a warranty.

For no more hours than you are going to use a skid loader for, a new machine doesn't make any sense to me at all.

That size SSL or CTL doesn't run DEF. The only Cat SSL/CTL running DEF is the 299. 279/289 and below only have a DPF filter.

Agree that I would spend $15K to rebuild what I know with no DPF than buy new unless I just wanted a new machine with cab, heat, A/C and tracks.

since you are springing for different iron, have you considered a CTL?

SSH if you just want to buy new and I understand that, you might want to look at 259 CTL. I've run a few and they are nice machines and would be a jump of an upgrade from your 262B performance and comfort wise.

Oh yeah Welcome to the Forums!