• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New pickup

mekanik

I always buy used and 2 wheel drives. No one seems to want a 2 wheel drive so they go for a good price. My last 2 trucks were ex U-Haul rental trucks. U-Haul buys the base model from the brand that gives them the best price and after a year or so they send them to auction. in 2013 I bought a 2011 F150 long box regular cab 2WD with 13036 kilometres on it off a dealer lot for $16000 Canadian. I sold it to a friend in 2019 and bought a GMC 1500 Sierra long box regular cab with 36000 kilometres on it for $21500. I am still driving that truck today.

The dealer I bought the GMC from had the identical truck with 4 wheel drive and twice the mileage and they were asking $38000 for it. I live in the north where we get lots of snow. I install good winter tires for the winter and have never had a problem. You need to know how to drive in the snow.

Tk1RYya.jpg

mitch504

I just want what I had 'til August. An early '99 GMC 2500, 8' bed, 2wd, regular cab, bench seat, rubber mat, and crank windows. A 6.5, auto, and a very good locking rear axle.
A young girl pulled out in front of me and destroyed my perfect 30 yr driving record. They put her 100% at fault, but she had no insurance. My insurance valued my truck at $3000, I asked where I could buy a good diesel p'up for that? When all was said and done, I got $1800, and the truck back with a salvage title and needing a front clip.

Maybe if the diesel fuel price differential stays where it is, I would rather have a 5.7. I was getting 11mpg with the 5.7, and 18 mph with the 6.5.
If I was shooting for perfection, I would have an extended cab and 4wd. I go offroad very frequently, but between the locking rear and good sense I only get stuck 2 or3 times a year anyway.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
My '02 poverty package 2500HD with no options besides a big block and 4wd has 210k on it. I dread the day it dies and needs to be replaced. Mid 2000's trucks were about the pinnacle of simple reliability with enough power and some creature comforts if you wanted them. After 2007.5 diesels went to crap, trucks got a lot more plastic, and now there's so many computers and boards just begging to give you problems. I put a couple 1,000 miles a year on my truck, hopefully it can last a while longer. When it needs something major it will be a tough decision to fix it or replace it with a new full of plastic computer controlled disaster and hope I get one made mid week. The days of

The wife has a new car, I bought it a year ago and put a Honda 5 year/ 60k warranty, at 4 years 11 months 29 days or 59,900 miles it's getting traded in. The odds of new fangled cars having some $2k computer or touch screen the dealer needs to program or configure to install go out are pretty good. The older they get the more likely they are to have issues and I'm sick of the "my car is doing this" phone calls while I'm out of town for work. I've just accepted this expense and figured out how to make it happen. I pretty much know how much the car is going to cost me over the it's life and shouldn't have any surprises. Keeping it out of warranty could be cheap or could be an expensive gamble. I just know I'm not going to to have to be troubleshooting why the heated seat only works on the middle setting, why the sunroof doesn't open, or why the tail light with a computer board in it doesn't work.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Dang I can't believe this post is still active. I still have this truck. It's been retired from a daily driver for at least 10years now. Its my weekend toy and pulls my camper. It's sitting at 700hp. I would love to build it for 1000hp, but the diesel performance industry has been hurt by over regulation by the EPA.

Attachments

• 20180620_082838.jpg
    20180620_082838.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 20200529_082655.jpg
    20200529_082655.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20210703_074441.jpg
    20210703_074441.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 56