• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to Mini Ex's-Lots of Questions

ejb17

Occupation
Fleet Maint Mgr
Newbie to miniex's so please bear with me. Looking at some different choices.
I like the JD17 zts due to support and zts factor. The Cat 301.8 is similar in size and has the ext. under carriage-along with local support also. Now comes along a little bigger selection- a Komatsu PC-25 and a IHI 28N. The PC-25 is in pretty nice shape but I need to find out if my local dealer will support it as I already deal with them on a loader and dozer. So the little bit of research I did on IHI I still dont know too much about them.
So I quess My question is for anyone to chime in any opinions on any of the above machines.
I will clarify that I am a rookie on a mini. I ran a borrowed Yanmar B50 and after a day was getting used to it. I do light clean ups and small jobs so I do need a thumb-small but useful. Taking out sheds and placing smaller rip-rap on stream banks.
Thanks in advance.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Wide range of sizes that you are looking at there!!

Could you possibly give us a bit more info? such as:

What is the heaviest weight you can carry/tow?

Do you regularly work in tight spaces/against walls e.t.c?

Are there any access restictions to a majority of your sites (e.g. width)? - this should help you to decide what the largest width machine (and therefore weight) you would make regular use of.

ejb17

Occupation
Fleet Maint Mgr
I can legally haul a 9000 lb machine.
I do not usually work in real confined spaces but it does occur.
I know - pretty open ended, but just looking for opinions.

Hendrik

My advice is to look at a secondhand machine with the required features already installed.
If you are just starting out you have to keep the start up costs under control.
What about a hydraulic hammer, will that be something that can get you more jobs? A tip truck to haul away or bring in material?
That's the thing, if you spend up big on just one machine you have to rely on jobs that the one machine can do.
I think the key to surviving in the small earthmoving market is to be able to say yes to just about every job that comes your way.
Anyway these days, most excavators are pretty much the same, some are better in some areas, perhaps a little faster or more powerful. Yes you are right, having dealer support nearby is important, especially if you are mechanically limited.
So I would say to you, sit down and write down what you want to do, what you will need to do it and where you want to go, in regards to growing the business. Look at what your competitors are using/doing. Work out your budget, working on a worst case scenario.
I don't know your situation, whether you have a contract or are casually sub-contracting or what but the bills still roll in, whether you are working 6 days a week or spending most of your time watching the equipment depreciate. You don't want to overextend yourself by needing to have a big, flash, new machine with all the goodies.
Anyway good luck in your search.

ejb17

Occupation
Fleet Maint Mgr
Hendrik,
Thanks for your thoughts. I do this work on a casual basis on a related C&D disposal business. I can do all mechanical work including engine OH except for maybe fuel injection pump work. A 6K lb machine would be ideal but the smaller 4k are ok to. Budgets are always tight but I cant say no to work.
What usually happens is when I drop off a 30 yard container for C&D waste I get asked who can take out that old shed or old foundation etc... Well I want to say I will because the guys I refer are either too busy or just no shows after they take the work, and in the meantime the customer is renting my container with nothing put in it yet. Not glamorous but someone has to do it and the opportunity is upon me.

Hendrik

So you really want a 3ton mini with breaker and thumb, if you are going to be shifting concrete. If you are going to fill a 30 yard container you need a machine with a bit of size.
Have a look at what's out there, I would suggest finding a machine with 1000-2000 hours on it. Under a 1K you tend to pay a bit of a premium and once the machines get over 2K they tend to get a bit sloppy. However for your type of work a bit of slop in the machine is no big deal.
Hendrik,
Thanks for your thoughts. I do this work on a casual basis on a related C&D disposal business. I can do all mechanical work including engine OH except for maybe fuel injection pump work. A 6K lb machine would be ideal but the smaller 4k are ok to. Budgets are always tight but I cant say no to work.
What usually happens is when I drop off a 30 yard container for C&D waste I get asked who can take out that old shed or old foundation etc... Well I want to say I will because the guys I refer are either too busy or just no shows after they take the work, and in the meantime the customer is renting my container with nothing put in it yet. Not glamorous but someone has to do it and the opportunity is upon me.

ejb17

Occupation
Fleet Maint Mgr
No breaker , just a thumb. The Yanmar B50 I borrowed with a thumb, which is a 9000 lb machine, separated and filled a 30 yarder in about 3 hours when we took down a 20x20 shed that had a huge footer and block dividing wall inside.