• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nexiq USB link

materthegreater

How many of you guys have experience with these? I think it'll work for my International truck, but the current model is pricey (since truck repair is not my business). I have Navistar software on a laptop, and figured all I'd need is the correct cable, but it seems that I'll need some sort of interface like the Nexiq. It's an older truck (2004) so I don't need the newest model, figured I'd try to find a used Nexiq USB link (original version), but it seems all I can find is the USB link 2. Which is around $700. Any other options for connecting to this truck?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The Nexiq USB link -2 is the way to go. You are on the right track. But sure, you could try and locate a used Cummins Inline data link or a Caterpillar Comm II. Hit the pawn shops or EBay.

Joel59

A lot of guys recommend the cheaper Chinese knock-offs and have had good luck with them. They're somewhere around $250. Mine works.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Isn’t the nexiq the same thing as the Cummins inline 7?

Mike L

Occupation
I’ve got laptop from Trukkscan and I use the inline 7 to plug into everything Cummins and Cat on highway stuff.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've been wondering a long time whether anything brand specific is really required to go between.

You said Cummins and Cat, what about Deere? Isuzu? Kubota? I'm thinking if there is not much behind the curtain we could put our heads together and make any connectors required.

pushbroom

Inline 7 and Nexiq usb link 2 are the same. Inline 6 and previous are its own thing. Most programs let you hook up with a variety of adapters.

Mike L

Occupation
I've been wondering a long time whether anything brand specific is really required to go between.

You said Cummins and Cat, what about Deere? Isuzu? Kubota? I'm thinking if there is not much behind the curtain we could put our heads together and make any connectors required.

I’m thinking we can. The Trukkscan people are supposed to be sending me adapters to be able to use my cat comm 3 to plug into Volvo construction equipment. I’m no computer guy but it doesn’t seem like there is as much magic inside those boxes as I once thought.

materthegreater

I have an adapter cable that allows me to plug my regular OBD2 Bluetooth adapter into the truck, but the connection LED on the adapter doesn't show connectivity to the ECU. I was hoping I could get this to work but no such luck apparently