• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Noise at flat faced coupler?

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
Hello all,
I have a little noise at one of my Aux. hyd. couplers that has me stumped. The attachment is a skid steer Beak which has one double action cylinder on it. The first time I open the jaw (withdraw the cylinder) it makes no noise but a noise happens every time I open the jaw after that. The sound is similar to that which is made when there is air in the lines but I have used a loop hose to remove any air trapped in the lines. I had a small drip at the coupler and suspected it might be drawing air as fluid is withdrawn but I have tightened the connection and the noise still remains.
It seems isolated to the coupler. I did remove both couplers, connected the two together and ran them through the parts washer to clean them out. The only thing I have not done is swap the coupler with another one to see if the noise stops.
The strange part is that this all started when I switched the couplers to change how the attachment functioned in relation to the control buttons. I did not notice any noise before I swapped them.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Goose

Try another coupler. At one time they were making a coupler with a bleed valve built into it to help make the flat face couplers hook up under some pressure. We have problem with some of them being noisy in one direction and we also had a few of them come apart inside and sent the parts into the other coupler or into the attachment.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Just a crazy thought ...but you said the noise started when you changed the couplers around ....could it be that one of those couplers had a screw in flow restricter in it, and now that it is reversed it is to restrictive ?

Last edited:

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
Craft, that is something I had not thought about. I will check it out.
Goose, Thanks for the info and warning. I think I will check for a flow restricter then try a new coupler. I did not know about that style of coupler.
I sure would like to have a coupler that bleeds the pressure off when it is connected. I struggle at times getting the couplers connected. I dump the pressure when the machine is running and again with the machine off / key on and still feel like:Banghead with those things.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
That'll be good if thats what it is, because the flow on my machine is higher than needed for most of my attachments I have alot of flo-restricters in use to slow things down or balance the stroke of a cylinder (in/out)..... I'm not familiar with the pressure relief couplers that Goose is refering to but the Faster brand connector block on mine Releaves the pressure on the boom couplers into the case drain .... I thought that when it had to release the pressure in the lines that the oil has to go some place like into a case drain line and not on the ground ....I would really like to know what brand they were cause it sure would be handy to have them on the attachment ....especially when you take it off cold then try to install after the sun has been beating on it for a while, have had to crack the lines to get the pressure off

Last edited:

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
I'm not familiar with the pressure relief couplers that Goose is refering to but the Faster brand connector block on mine Releaves the pressure on the boom couplers into the case drain .... I thought that when it had to release the pressure in the lines that the oil has to go some place like into a case drain line and not on the ground ....I would really like to know what brand they were cause it sure would be handy to have them on the attachment ....especially when you take it off cold then try to install after the sun has been beating on it for a while, have had to crack the lines to get the pressure off
Craft I couldn't agree with you more about the attachment pressure. I thought I was the only lucky one that had issues with this. I keep a wrench in the cab to crack a fitting on the 4-in-1 bucket because it gets hard to connect even when I have disconnected properly. It always seems to happen when someone is waiting for me to get back with the other bucket....