• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Noram 65E

JBL

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? I was thinking this would be a great size for working around buildings and really putting a finishing touch on jobs.

Grader4me

I always wanted to try one of those little fella's but never had an opportunity. A lot of the paving companies have these for doing the prep work on driveways, around buildings etc. for paving.
These were designed for that purpose, as there are places that the regular size graders are just to big.
For working around buildings to put a finishing touch on your job? I guess it would depend on what kind of material you are grading. Hard to beat a dozer for finish work around a building.

Deas Plant

Beating a dozer.

Hi, Grader4me.
Yes, I agree that a good dozer with a PAT blade is a handy tool for cleaning up around buildings BUT so is a good loader, either track or articulated 4wd, with a good 4-in-1 bucket.

And don't forget the little fellers that were made for exactly that sort of work, the Bobcats, et al. The track versions of those jiggers are amazing little rigs these days.

Just my .02.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

JBL

grader4me. I should have been more precise on the working around buildings. I was referring to commercial buildings and pads. The one I am on now is a 320x240 building pad plus parking lot. I kind of just had these pads land in my lap and really wasn't prepared to do them.

The ground around here starts out as a black dirt 1 1/2" crusher run mix and then goes to a rocky red or brown clay, then either limestone or sandstone. The problem I am having is when cutting final grade with the dozer I am getting the washboard effect running on the rocks. I was hoping this grader would be big enough to come in and cut that final tenth and give the job alot more uniform look. Then once the building goes up it could be used to grade the whiterock for the parking area. I am just looking for a faster way to get to final grade with a finish I can be proud of. The reason I am looking at this smaller grader is that it would be handy on the residential side of things where a 12G or 120G wouldn't fit and still give me high quality results.

Grader4me

Okay, the small grader should work good for what you are trying to achieve. I don't know how much experience that you have on a grader, but fine grading with one big or small takes a lot of practice.. The only way that you are going to find out is give it a whirl :)

JBL

I have alot of time on a 12G cutting grade. Since I went out on my own over a year ago I just haven't been able to justify purchasing a grader but am trying to now. I was kind of hoping that someone had some experience with the smaller graders and could tell me there limitations. I would hate to spend the money only to find out that it is going to really bounce around and I am right back where I started. Seems like with equipment that you really never have exactly what you need.
Thanks for the input.

Grader4me

Sorry I couldn't have helped you more, now that I know exactly what you are looking for.
Is there any place in your area that you could rent one just to try? Then you would know if purchasing one would be in your best interest.
There are a few others on this forum that has grader experience, maybe they will give you some input

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I don't have much experance on graders but have run one of thoes small ones to maintain a RV park. it is a rental unit and every time I go to rent it it is broken. They tell me it is because toe renter before me always trys to leval a mountain. They say it is not for any heavy work but perfict for finish work. Last time this guy used it he had it taken to a remote site by choper. when there he broke the main fraim in 1/2. only thing holding it together was the hoses.
Like I said I have very little experiance but I loved it when I had it and if I wasn't restoring mine I would buy one about that size.

JBL

Motor Grader, Is Volvo going to be the only ones handling the champion graders or are other dealers going to pick them up also? Just asking because the closest Volvo dealer is 2 hours away and I am to lazy to drive that far. :D

On a side not I never did find a Noram dealer even close to me. Went ahead and bought a pull type box blade/laser setup and it worked great for the pads. Still not a grader but I will have one eventually.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Just got word the one the rental co. has is for sale and they want 49K for it. could get pictures and any other info if anyone is interested.

JBL

Thanks for the offer Dwan. Is this the Noram they have or the champ? Would really like to try one out first before jumping in but I can't find a place to rent one. :Banghead Would you mind taking a look at it and give your opinion on it.
The ground in my area gets pretty rocky and I have concerns that it may not do what I want it to. I have never seen one other than on the web. :beatsme There are a few fiatallis 65C's a few hundred miles away but I am leary of the parts availibility/pricing on them. Thanks again Dwan

Read your post from earlier, is this the one that had the frame broke in half?

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the offer Dwan. Is this the Noram they have or the champ? Would really like to try one out first before jumping in but I can't find a place to rent one. :Banghead Would you mind taking a look at it and give your opinion on it.
The ground in my area gets pretty rocky and I have concerns that it may not do what I want it to. I have never seen one other than on the web. :beatsme There are a few fiatallis 65C's a few hundred miles away but I am leary of the parts availibility/pricing on them. Thanks again Dwan

Read your post from earlier, is this the one that had the frame broke in half?

I'll look at when I get back to Juneau early next week. I am not sure if it is the same one that was broken or not. If it turns out you are interested you may have to fly up here and go fishing, oh I ment to say try it out. I can always agange to have it avalable to grade the RV park and have a RV in the park for you to stay in when you were here. I'll get some pictures tuesday or wensday of next week for you.

Dwan

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Champion Dealers

Motor Grader, Is Volvo going to be the only ones handling the champion graders or are other dealers going to pick them up also? Just asking because the closest Volvo dealer is 2 hours away and I am to lazy to drive that far. :D

On a side not I never did find a Noram dealer even close to me. Went ahead and bought a pull type box blade/laser setup and it worked great for the pads. Still not a grader but I will have one eventually.

For the most part we are staying with the Volvo Construction Equipment Dealers. I have dropped a few Volvo dealers to go back to the old Champion Dealers we had prior to the buy out by Volvo.