• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Off road diesel set up for my skid steer

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Or do like I did and install a "power inlet" so there is no cord. With my setup the male end plugs into the generator receptacle and the female end plugs onto the male spades of the plug of the inlet. Regular extension cord is what I use mostly. Weather tight when not in use.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Pre-Covid, we had a corporate strategy to provide “ value added” services to our fuel customers. So, we placed many portable tanks and did keep full service. I purchased many dozens of Fillrite and GPI-Pro pumps. I had better success with GPI-Pro in the long run. Especially in cold weather. GPI had better customer service, too. My $.02

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am a sample of 1, but I think the Fillrite pumps are better than the GPI. I have both and prefer Fillrite. Thats just me.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I was kinda thinking the same thing, a 200 gal tank to feed a skid steer and how long it would take to empty that tank, the amount of moisture that would condense? I see two other options, one mentioned above, purchase a transfer tank for your truck, I assume you do have a truck. Fill at local fuel supplier as needed. Or, you have fuel oil delivered for heat, from what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, home heating oil and #2 off road fuel is the same thing. If that's correct, install a pump in your heating oil tank to fill your skiddy as needed. Is that out of the realm of possibilities?
Home heating oil is not always colored is all. Same fuel!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Check with your supplier. Here they will not deliver under 300 gallons and there is a 25 cents a gallon delivery charge on up to 500 gallons.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Around my area "Off road" red dyed fuel is readily available at gas stations. It is supposed to be cheaper than road fuel, but last summer it wasn't always.

terex herder

Here local there is red fuel at the pump for the school busses, fire trucks, and slip tanks. It isn't much cheaper at the posted pump price, as the state requires sales tax on pump fuel. If you charge with the station's own card and have a tax exemption form on file, the sales tax is deducted from the monthly billing.

1693TA

Occupation
I've not seen red fuel available at point of retail sale, (gas stations) myself in Illinois. I purchase off road fuel at the local oil distributor and it is about .30 off per gallon compared to retail price diesel at the station.

Kind of hard to know sometimes but the delivery driver will call me when the price is going to jump so I can top off if needed.

clydesdale6

Hand pump may be a "no go". I spoke with Fill Rite and the hand pumps do not do well with filters. I would like a filter.

Delmer

For a hundred gallon tank that will sit in one place, and go through one or two fills a year, I'd use a hand pump and keep it a few inches off the bottom, with the tank sloped to the drain, and don't fill from it for a couple days after you fill it to let it settle.

1693TA

Occupation
My portable fuel tank is a skid mounted, caged 275 gallon home heating oil tank layed on it's side with bungs welded into the sides for the pump, fill port, and on the other side which is the bottom, a drain spigot. The filler neck is vented to preclude rain entrance. It does set at a slightly nose down attitude but it doesn't stay in the truck unless needed so moisture isn't a problem. I know you are not supposed to carry over 115 gallons without a permit, but I've never had any trouble with it. I usually keep red fuel in this and it's come in handy a lot over the years. The suction tube is just about an inch from the bottom and there is a spin on three micron filter/water separator on the fuel output hose.

clydesdale6

I plan to leave this tank on a small trailer that I can move around with our quad. My idea is that if the fuel has been sitting around too long, I will pump it into the house oil tank. I usually get fuel deliveries twice a year, I will fill this tank at that time. But, I feel strongly that it needs to be filtered.

clydesdale6

I think I may have narrowed my pump choice down to two different Fill Rite pumps. One is standard duty. Here are the two below. Any experience or thoughts. This will be for a skid steer, small Kubota tractor and back up for house tank so that I may try to avoid buying home heating fuel during a time when prices are psycho.

click on the 1210h, which is the manual nozzle option in the below link

Also, if you suggest the 1210 pump, is it worth it to buy the diesel auto pump or is the cheaper manual pump better for my intended use.

Thanks folks.

1693TA

Occupation
I see lots of those red Fill-Rite pumps on farm tanks. Don't really see except occasionally the aluminum ones on slip tanks. I like the automatic shutoff nozzle myself as don't like to babysit, or hold the fuel nozzle while it's working.

This stuff can be had less expensive than those prices too by shopping around. Look at your farm supply stores to start.

Welder Dave

For the amount you'll use it the standard duty Fill Rite pump is fine. If you have to use the pump in freezing conditions the auto nozzles that come in the kit are junk. They will not work if it gets below about 5-10C. Not that they won't shut off, that they won't pump at all. I got tired of having to take my auto nozzle off to fill machines so I could clear snow. I replaced it with a manual nozzle that works all the time. Have to watch so you don't overflow when filling but much better than having to take the damn thing off. There is an Arctic auto nozzle but they are quite pricey. I got my 13 GPM pump on sale at a farm store for almost $200 less than a large industrial supply was selling them. Exact same thing. Also helps to get a longer hose so you don't have to be so close to the tank or you have a tank up high like on some machines like a grader.

1693TA

Occupation
My auto shutoff nozzle is a "Wolf's Head" IIRC and works in any temperature trouble free. You see them on a lot of gas stations around this area. I don't know what it cost as it's a few years since the purchase but I don't think it was over $50.00. The "Gasboy" pump was from the same vendor which is a petroleum marketing outfit. I wouldn't mind having a 12VDC pump, but this one was given to me and I always carry a generator.

My tank fuels a lot of combines and large tractors during harvest and I have three 10' sections of hose which couple together with barrel type clamps. No tools and stick the male hose into the female hose and roll the handles down.

The tank is usually set into the truck bed, filled, hoses coupled together and flushed, and stays that way till harvest conclusion. Works pretty slick in reality having fuel when needed rather than calling for the fuel truck and hope they get there timely to maintain progress.

clydesdale6

Welder Dave, just to clarify, are you saying these things struggle to pump at 0 celcius, 32 degrees? Or even -10celcius or 14 degrees? If so, that is a problem. At 32 degrees, it MUST pump. 14 degrees a little easier to plan around, but where I am, 32 degrees can happen for 1-2 months consecutively. I need to clarify this because if it is problematic below 32 degrees, then I would have to go with the manual.
1693ta, thanks. I do see these can be bought for far less on Amazon.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
If you let that fuel sit for extended periods, you might also want to consider a biocide treatment at least once a year. I had an episode with that stuff a few years back. Annual or 6 mo maintenance dosages keep everything in check. I've been using Biobor JF that I purchase on Amazon with good results. No repeat outbreaks since. You will get black, clogged filters if you get an infection in your fuel tanks.

cfherrman

Probably go with the manual l, I think I have the heavy duty fillrite and used the same over the years. I went with the auto because I have spilled a lot over the years and I'm not impressed, it's finicky. I would buy a better quality auto if you want one, the manual is fine just baby sit it