• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Off road diesel set up for my skid steer

cfherrman

If you need to drain the tank you pump off the fuel, tip the tank over to get rid of the excess fuel, then tank the tank in fir repair. You will never use the drain so just plug it.

The clear golden rod filter is a huge pain to change btw and makes a mess every time.

clydesdale6

I might be thinking about this wrong. But.....would water settle to the bottom and then you could drain it off, or will the water be below the plug? I was thinking the golden rod would not make such a mess because you could open the bottom and drain it. But, thank you for the heads up.

cfherrman

If the tank sets for a long time you can drain the water, but if you ever move the tank the water will suspend back into the diesel.

It's the same as water in engine oil.

The clear filter sucks because you have to clear the cartridge going down so the filter has to have a good 6" or whatever under it to change the filter and the drain is not fast so you drain like an inch or two and pull the bowl and hope not to tip it over trying to clear the cartridge. I can't remember if you have to run brand name filters while every filter head I've used you had a big pick of brands types sizes and micron size. If you have low use and are worried about water put a valve that's handy under the tank and drain the water off before pumping. Keeping the tank full also helps.

clydesdale6

I think you are correct. I doubt I will use the drain and it might become a potential leak point. I will keep it when it arrives and if I need to drain, I will pump it off, remove the plug, then install the valve and and a hose to hopefully get the fuel where I want it. Thanks. At this point, I am going to mount this thing on a pallet and hopefully the pump will arrive at tractor supply. Thank you to everyone for the help.

cfherrman

I'm just glad you went aluminum, that takes care of a bunch of problems the rest is relatively minor after that.

clydesdale6

I don't have a pic handy at the moment, but I got my tank just about done. I mounted it to a pallet, added swivels to the hose ends and got 100 gallons delivered. I am just finishing up the wiring now, waiting on heat shrink from Amazon. I have the room and decided to keep the tank in a garage. I imagine this will cut down on the condensation issues, as opposed to be sitting in the sun and going through big temperature fluctuations. My question now is, what treatment should I add to it? I have added outboard 2 stroke mix to my truck's fuel. I imagine I can add to this for the skid steer and tractor. But, is there anything else that is recommended for fuel storage? Thanks.

cfherrman

Man i can't think of anything for diesel for storage. Project farm has a good video on treatments for gelling and lube. I pretty much add power service year round.

clydesdale6

I have another question regarding this set up. It is an aluminum tank, mounted on a pallet and in my garage on concrete. The directions want a ground wire mounted to vehicle or a grounding rod. This is not in a vehicle and a grounding rod is not possible here. Is grounding it really necessary and if so, any good ideas? Thanks.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Grounding vs bonding. It’s a often mis- understood topic in the fuel handling biz. In that application a bonding wire on a reel would be used between the tank and the rig being fueled. Depending upon company policy. More importantly used when transferring gasoline. Mandatory on any product when used at an airport as per NFPA 107.

With gasoline, we use hose with a static bonding wire build into the assembly, tested and certified annually.

cfherrman

Bonding is to make sure everything is the same voltage. You can use jumper cables until you get a reel.

I've never bonded my tank which is in my pickup to my rig, but I only fill diesel. It would be a really good idea for gas.

clydesdale6

Interesting. The Fill Rite manual does not discuss bonding. It wants a grounding wire to the vehicle or to a grounding rod for stationary tank. Mine is stationary, but grounding rod is not really possible in my concrete garage floor.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I use a steel plate or a piece of whatever clean scrap steel and lay it on the ground or slab and a jumper cable if I’m particularly being “safe” or if the humidity is low or non-existent. Especially with meth, 100LL or RUG.

clydesdale6

I will likely use a vehicle in the garage for the power supply. I might use the skid steer that is getting fueled for a battery supply at times also. In speaking with Fill Rite, they suggest grounding to the chassis of the vehicle you are getting power from. So, I ordered 25 feet of 12 gauge green wire and some alligator clips. I will make a grounding wire that I can leave coiled up on the tank.