• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil Evac question?

justafarmer

Have a waste oil system on my service truck. Just your run-of-the-mill diaphram pump with a 4 way selector valve so I can pump or suck onto the truck. Looking to get a hose reel. Can I use a single braid 1500 psi hydraulic hose on the reel? I know it wont be a issue with the pressure because it will only pump 100 psi or less but just wondering about the suction end of it. Common sense tells me that it should hold up fine. What are you guys finding?

02Dmax

I think the hose on my suction line is rated at like 750psi and I've never had an issue.

blitz138

The hose will be fine. If you go to a hose shop they will try to sell you a "suction" hose and tell you that the suction can displace the wire braid, it wont. Keep in mind that you can pump for hundreds of feet but you can suck for only about 20 feet. If you try to pull suction through a 1/2" x 50' hose reel it will not work, you could push but not pull.

blitz138

Ya thats asking alot especially through a reel. Once you started pulling the oil you would probably be ok but getting it to prime with 35' of air is going to be a real pain especially if the oil is cool. The closer you can get to the equipment the better.