• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil. Is there any brands that I should stay away from?

emmett518

I normally buy Shell Rotella for my backhoe. I change it religiously on mfg schedule. Oil and filters are cheaper than engine rebuilds.

I am going to change the oil in my F150.

Other than avoiding Fram, and no name brands, are there any brands that I should stay away from?

I did see a online video of a guy who took apart oil filters, and demonstrated that Fram filters sucked big mega moose poop. The Napa Gold filter and the Purolator were best.

I typically use Castrol.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Speaking of F one fiddles,.... If it’s a three valve Triton 5.4 with the troublesome rattling camshaft timing actuators, unsubstantiated data suggests changing viscosity from 5w-20 to 5w-30 is beneficial. FordTechMakuloco and his YouTube channel beat that horse to death. Ford even hinted around about it in statements to their commercial customers.

I switched the Ford 5.4 powered fleet to 5w-30 when I worked for big oil and it made a significant difference in reliability, camshaft rattling & drop in maintenance costs. But, your mileage may vary.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
On Ford vehicles I've always used Motorcraft filters, they're readily available even at Walmart and are reasonably priced.

If I absolutely can't get Motorcraft I look for Wix and use Wix on just about everything else.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
On Ford vehicles I've always used Motorcraft filters, they're readily available even at Walmart and are reasonably priced.

If I absolutely can't get Motorcraft I look for Wix and use Wix on just about everything else.
The Motorcraft oil filters have gone up in the last couple months here. Think they're about $16 now, used to buy them from the dealer for about $11. At least I only go through about 3 a year.

cfherrman

Don't use regular Pennzoil or quaker state, terrible oil especially for stop and go. Everything else is great including no name brands as long as you know it's not one of those two.

Pick a brand and stay with it don't change brands.

Use OEM filters and don't get filters from Amazon.

Get oil testing from Blackstone

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I bought a case of 12 FL-820S filters a while back on eBay for $48, they're now $60. That's $5/filter and I always have one on hand.

Just checked my Walmart app, they're $3.97 there

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I bought a case of 12 FL-820S filters a while back on eBay for $48, they're now $60. That's $5/filter and I always have one on hand.

Just checked my Walmart app, they're $3.97 there
I just looked online at the local Walmart. $26.31 for a FL-820S.

$27.84 for the FL-500S

Rediculous.

Drag racer

Don't use regular Pennzoil or quaker state, terrible oil especially for stop and go. Everything else is great including no name brands as long as you know it's not one of those two.

Pick a brand and stay with it don't change brands.

Use OEM filters and don't get filters from Amazon.

Get oil testing from Blackstone
Challenge you pull valve covers from Pennzoil engine that had regular service and find any gum deposits.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Valvoline oils are probably the worst, all of them lose their viscosities when they get hot.
Heaps of outfits have lost the shirt off their backs using that crap and have had no financial status to take legal action over the failures.

cfherrman

If we are smack talking blenders, my advice is to stay away from anything that Warren Oil mixes up. This is just one example.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...draulic-fluid-10-85m-class-action-settlement/

Yeah I buy probably the same stuff at orschlens under a different name/maker because it's super cheap around $40-$50 a 5 gallon bucket. I have a just a regular gear pump and others have used it so idk.

On the bucket it says no OEM application newe than 1980 on it.

Old Doug

Just unscrew the cap and look at the bottom of it.
I dont think that proves any thing . I never liked pennzoil but have no reason behind it. My Dad used what ever was cheap on sale and never stuck with any one brand he had ok luck.
I think oil is like most things you buy if one was way better some every one would find out and start using that brand. Oil filters have gotten smaller and smaller . This may sound crazy to most but i think some day they will stop putting filters on engines because unless you have something go wrong it dosent do alot.
I use Rotella in all my old stuff because its one of the last oils that has been proven to work in flat tappet cam engines. I have bought 3 flat tapped engine rigs that were run with regular oils that had cam problems.

cfherrman

I dont think that proves any thing . I never liked pennzoil but have no reason behind it. My Dad used what ever was cheap on sale and never stuck with any one brand he had ok luck.
I think oil is like most things you buy if one was way better some every one would find out and start using that brand. Oil filters have gotten smaller and smaller . This may sound crazy to most but i think some day they will stop putting filters on engines because unless you have something go wrong it dosent do alot.
I use Rotella in all my old stuff because its one of the last oils that has been proven to work in flat tappet cam engines. I have bought 3 flat tapped engine rigs that were run with regular oils that had cam problems.

I do agree and any oil is better than not changing oil. If you have seen what's on the bottom of a cap and it only comes with those two brands I don't think you would buys those brands either.

Old Doug

I told this before but there was a guy in my small town in the early 70 bought a business out . This guy never went any were much before maybe put 2000 miles on his car a year . He got this business that had some pickups and trucks they were on the road every day sometimes 7 days a week . So he went from having a car that the engine was shot at a low milage to engines that ran 6 times more miles and lasted good. The business had several cases of the brand of oil they used so he kept using it i think it was Havoline. He thought that oil was the best oil there ever was and it may have been but a blind man could see what realy had happen.
This same deal happens over and over with alot of people . John Smith buys his used first car and uses brand x oil. The car hasnt had a good life before and the engine dosent last long. Johns next used car they have always used Brand Y oil . That engine was never ran out of water and taken care of . In Johns eyes Brand Y oil is great. I am not saying Brand Y oil is better than Brand X and we will probably never know.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Most all of this--relates to service intervals, have a realistic maintenance program
and stick with it. Trying to get every nickle out of oil just isn't worth it.

cfherrman

Don't use unless it's older than 1989 lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_114118.jpg
    IMG_20221121_114118.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20221121_114051.jpg
    IMG_20221121_114051.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24

emmett518

The Motorcraft oil filters have gone up in the last couple months here. Think they're about $16 now, used to buy them from the dealer for about $11. At least I only go through about 3 a year.

NAPA has a 20% off sale, and their gold filters are supposed to be very good. I ordered one for $10 or so.

I had 5 quarts of Pennzoil left over, so I ordered another 5, and will use that. No sense wasting it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The NAPA Gold line is a decent, consistent product. Compare individual part numbers to their Platinum line. For an extra bucks or two, you might get a much better filter.