• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil. Is there any brands that I should stay away from?

cfherrman

Oh’ I see there is no shortage of new oil filter videos on the ewe tube. Coincidentally, I’m home eating lunch after my previous post, turn on the TV and there are oil filter videos all over the YT Home Screen. Obviously, I’m being watched by the YT overlords.

Start using brave browser and watch you tube in that. It blocks the ads and the data mining.

cfherrman

Ok--back to realistic service intervals. Daimler Detroit says on a DD15 for example, we could run oil change
intervals from 40 to 50,000 miles on heavy haul {100,000 GVW} and 60 to 65,000 at {80,000 GVW} with
oil Sampling. I don't do OIL SAMPLING. Using 10x30 synthetic. Synthetics are good but not that good, and
the DD15 is a good engine but not that good. So the average mileage of any trucks we have is 135,000
a year---A total of three full services under their talking point/word salad sales pitch.

I set the Max at 30,000 have had zero issues but that oil is about as nasty as it gets, so black and thick
with soot the waste oil burner struggles unless I cut it with LSD. Now I do know of some companies
that tried the 50 grand oil change intervals, and it ended up costing them 50 grand each, with warranty
claims pending for awhile now.

I only use OEM filters/cost less than aftermarket. My point is why should I be sampling oil to meet
the factory guidelines-If it comes back with a bad report what the hell did we save, nothing. But
someone made money doing all these sampling testing/reports. How many barrels of 10x30 synthetic
could I buy for 50 grand? No matter what the manufacture says it's nothing more than pandering for
a sale. Use common sense and set a service interval that's realistic. I can see sampling for final drives
in a Cat otherwise no.

Another asinine pandering sales pitch is Cummins overhead adjustment interval for X15.
No need according to Cummins to adjust the overheads till---------------------500,000. Well that ain't
happening either the 7 we bought a year ago will go in at 175,000 to be checked.

Donelson Power Core engine air filters suppose to last a full year running over the road----BS.
7 to 9 months and those are loaded heavy as hell, change it and mileage slightly increases plus
the DPF lasts longer.

I can't believe you don't rest the oil! There are so many things you can prevent with testing like replacing the bearings before a spun bearing.

Truck Shop

I can't believe you don't rest the oil! There are so many things you can prevent with testing like replacing the bearings before a spun bearing.

In the 20 years I've been at this company we've lost two engines. One a N14 with
a catastrophic oil pump failure in the first 40,000 miles, covered. The other was
recent, DD15 that broke a crank, deemed defective from day one, covered.
That's out of 250 plus tractors. The tier 2 Series 60's we ran along with Cat and
Cummins had full service intervals of 15,000 with non synthetic 15x40. Series 60's
will run 750,000 plus on a original set of main bearings provided services are
done on a strict/regular basis. Never lost a Kabota refer engine out of 400 plus
trailers. Some with 20,000 plus run hours.

What causes engine wear is overshooting services. I caught every Series 60 that
was loosing the bull gear, fine particles stuck to the drain plug magnet. If using
a oil sample routine makes people comfortable then that's just ok with me.

Truck Shop

Just like the ones at the gas station--------oops there hasn't been a gas station since the invention
of the mini mart.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
F69ADD96-6C4E-4893-A753-1FC145DDCF6F.jpeg That old Chevron can is sitting in a World War II era corrugated metal building located on the Yakutat airport operation area. Best I can tell, this old spruce workbench and vice are original. The facility was built by the army and then became a Chevron terminal. The original 1940’s tank farm next door is still in use for Jet A and 100LL.

Notice the wooden Chevron oil can crates being used as shelves.

Tugger2

I Remember the Texaco had a sloped sheet metal tray out between the pumps. Empty oil cans were laid in it to drain into a jug . Not sure who got that oil with the dust n bugs in it. And i have a can spout to ,just in case.

Truck Shop

I Remember the Texaco had a sloped sheet metal tray out between the pumps. Empty oil cans were laid in it to drain into a jug . Not sure who got that oil with the dust n bugs in it. And i have a can spout to ,just in case.

I just got back to the shop-gone on trouble shooting look see. A friend just towed in
a Pete with a C15-said it suddenly started smoking real hard than ran away.
Well lets take that turbo intake boot off-I just bet she's done-sure enough. Ran till it
started knocking then died. Just inframed, from Wisconsin.

He could use some oil with dust and bugs in it.

pburressiii

I use mobile 1 full synthetic in my personal vehicles along with Baldwin filters. you are right good oil and a quality filter is cheaper than an engine