• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Lincoln Welder

mitch504

They are referred to as "hardhats" around here. Like I said, I have one that the dept of the army took delivery of in 1936. I hooked it up once and it struck an arc.

A welding shop here has one that gets used 2-3 days a year, when the other machines are busy.

dirty4fun

Repowerguy, I have the same old Lincoln welder, use it quite often. The bakelite on the switch broke years ago, so have to turn it off with a screwdriver a good bang downward. My father bought it 65 years ago.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Repowerguy, I have the same old Lincoln welder, use it quite often. The bakelite on the switch broke years ago, so have to turn it off with a screwdriver a good bang downward. My father bought it 65 years ago.
A 30 amp double pole manual motor starter is a mostly direct replacement for the power switch. That’s what I repaired mine with.

Old Doug

Problem is they are 3 phase.
Thats not a problem they can be made to run on single phase. The bad thing is there hogs they use alot of power to run. A guy 2 miles from me used one on single phase of years. They are very cool and weld good but stick welders are very cheap so hardly worth the time to convert.

Tugger2

Working at the power station I learned more about electrical than I ever wanted to know!!!
Being a life time welder Straight and reverse polarity are the extent of electrical knowledge drilled into my brain. Hooking up 3 phase becames an arc n spark learning curve every time. Just what what happens when you dont do it every day.