• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

oscillating Brush Shark or rotary brush mower

Hey folks, Newbie here.

I have an 80 HP ASV SR80 and am considering best way/ machine to clean up my Oak woods. Lots of fallen branches from oak wilt and other, lots of prickly ash and buckthorn. Buckthorn is REALLY hard wood and biggest ones over 3" diameter. I COULD utilize something like the Brush Shark; it even has a version "tree trimmer" same price as the standard which is built with clearance allowing 45° back tilt for improved vertical positioning for trimming field edges of overhanging branches / brush. However, I am concerned that it's price appears a bit high $5500 and whether the operation / business is legit. On the other hand there are lots of legit and good rotary brush mowers and brush hogs available for track loaders like mine. I have max ability for only 30 gpm at HIGH flow though.
Please offer suggestions here.
-- have YOU used a Brush Shark? Happy with dealing with the company in Austin and the machine itself?
-- What do you use for a rotary machine and besides shredding the off-cut and not having to pick it up(like results from Brush Shark) how is it better?
-- Any rotary attachments that also can be tilted more easily than most for trimming branches etc.?

Thanks!

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Try renting a attachment first. Maybe one of the many different rotaries will work just fine for you.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
We have a Diamond 72” cutter. It’s badd Azz. Very robust and durable. Won’t give you the result a drum mulcher will as far a fine cut product but it will cut it up pretty good. It’s definitely easier on the machine. Never used a brush shark brand

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Not sure what sort of GPM you get out of that machine, but the more the better. Just make sure you match the mower to the machine in that regard. Also make sure your have lexan or some type of forestry protection. I run a high flow mower on my machine and it'll do 5" w/o too much trouble.