• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

suladas

But it's got "HD" on the door, doesn't that stand for "Heavy Duty"??

Even a dually crew cab Silverado is factory limited to 9000kgs (19836lbs) gross, down here. I hate to think what those single rear tyres are carrying, or how much that rear axle housing is bending - or what kind of pressure those 8 wheel studs each side, are under.

With this kind of abuse, often drivetrain problems don't show up until a few years has gone by, and the second owner is the one trying to figure out why the drivetrain components are failing early.

What happened to this big ol' plate that manufacturers used to screw to the firewall??

Rear axle is very likely not overloaded. Can’t speak for GMC but Ram the rear axle SRW or DRW is exactly the same aside from the width. Driveline is exactly the same also. Even with 4K of pin weight rear axle wouldn’t be overloaded.

I pulled a gooseneck similar weight with my srw all the time, it’s not overloaded or hard on it, I went up to 26k numerous times.

cfherrman

Most of the components are the same from brand to brand, but it's not great to do that to a truck when you should have the money to get a bigger truck.

Truck Shop

I realize this isn't a overload of the day, but.
1976 359 Pete, steel rails in very good shape, extended leaf walking beam suspension,
350 small cam Cummins with jakes, 13 speed-originally had a 5x4. Factory three fuel
tanks. Factory 36" sleeper. Needs tires and a paint job-would be great if had a 400.
$15,500,00. Southern Cal. Make a great lowboy truck.

347259034_267241662515753_7358120361742604694_n.jpg347416549_231770656263033_9170496867904841203_n.jpg350804577_947777036474560_8889722214808403160_n.jpg350827153_647511200556188_472574750780788354_n.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I realize this isn't a overload of the day, but.
1976 359 Pete, steel rails in very good shape, extended leaf walking beam suspension,
350 small cam Cummins with jakes, 13 speed-originally had a 5x4. Factory three fuel
tanks. Factory 36" sleeper. Needs tires and a paint job-would be great if had a 400.
$15,500,00. Southern Cal. Make a great lowboy truck.

View attachment 287368View attachment 287369View attachment 287370View attachment 287371
I have came to a conclusion for out here.... I can never own anything like that or in it's league out here or it will get destroyed. Another thing is it needs to be 4 x 4 as in true 4 x 4, 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 or it's as useless as tits on a nun.

ianjoub

I have came to a conclusion for out here.... I can never own anything like that or in it's league out here or it will get destroyed. Another thing is it needs to be 4 x 4 as in true 4 x 4, 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 or it's as useless as tits on a nun.
4x4 that is truly a 2wd when 'locked in' ... lol

Old Doug

Does the Pete not have AC ? I have never owned a truck with AC or a pickup that had it but i have been really thinking about it the last few years.

Truck Shop

I see why the price is reasonable. It's only got one stack and with a muffler, too. Plus stock visor and single painted air cleaner.
Correct-The miles on this 359 are low, it hasn't had everyone and their drunk brother butchering it.
Only need one pipe, only need one air cleaner, only need a stock visor. The wiring is in real
good shape. Even the steering wheel-isn't cracked all to hell. For moving equipment in normal
conditions {not like Spuds environment} it's a perfect rig, it doesn't get anymore simplistic than
this. Everyone whines about how hard it is to work on trucks these days, A clutch change or
gear box R&R is about 4 hours and that includes 10 smoke breaks and a pot of coffee.
Get your wallets out and stop sniveling. :)

crane operator

Yeah, but it doesn't have twin stacks, air cleaners, tinted windows and a bumper that scrapes the ground. Nor does the shifter graze the ceiling, plus no corvette dash. Pull that sleeper off, I ain't staying overnight anywhere anyways. And I sure don't need three fuel tanks, there's no where I'm going where I need that much fuel.

Actually, that's a sharp truck, super clean inside, and the only reason its not working, is CARB.

It would sell for at least 10k more in the midwest, for a farmer hauling grain, or a dirt worker pulling a dozer. Prices for pre-2000 trucks are still high here.

Truck Shop

Its to far away or I'd own it. A 10 year old 4 x 4 pickup sells for more.
People will think of a ten ways.
If I had money you'd see me driving that truck on i70 headed east back home with it.
You would need to tire it first, it has been parked since 1998 but started and run regularly.
Tires are cracking next to rim/bead area.
But owning a truck like this------------------No yellow safety shirts allowed inside cab, and no
wiping of ones ass on the seat.
Pull that sleeper off, I ain't staying overnight anywhere anyways. And I sure don't need three fuel tanks, there's no where I'm going where I need that much fuel.
Might need it you could find yourself homeless down the road.
*Actually I probably shouldn't have posted it-first thing people do is start talking about
how they would butcher it, Better yet everyone forget about it, just buy a nice
International with a Max Force. Kick the mud off your boots on the floor, spit sunflower
seed hulls till there an inch deep, throw your uneaten lunch behind the seat, beat the
crap out of the passenger door by throwing a thermos and hardhat in the passenger
seat, and set dead along side the road with all the check engine lights on plus a puddle
of coolant on the ground. Only need a beater to move equipment.