• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

P&H Crane with swing controller problem

SpaceTentacle

Anyone here with experience on P&H 60 ton cranes? We have one that won't swing either direction without serious jerking movements. The original voltage regulator assembly has been changed out for a solid state assembly and none of the voltage and ohm readings seem to be the same as my troubleshooting guide that was with the original assembly. Need help.

crane operator

P and H 60 ton crane is a pretty wide range.

You will get more help if you can give us a year/ model/ serial #.

60 ton could be a lattice crawler, lattice truck, hydraulic truck telescopic boom, rough terrain crane, pedestal crane etc. etc.

P&H manufactured cranes from 1887 to being bought by terex in 1995. So a little more info on your end might help.

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
Reading and seeing swing jerking, I immediately thought friction crane with warped swing drums or shoe adjustment issue.
Then read the part about voltage regulator and thought Nope not friction

SpaceTentacle

P and H 60 ton crane is a pretty wide range.

You will get more help if you can give us a year/ model/ serial #.

60 ton could be a lattice crawler, lattice truck, hydraulic truck telescopic boom, rough terrain crane, pedestal crane etc. etc.

P&H manufactured cranes from 1887 to being bought by terex in 1995. So a little more info on your end might help.
I can get some more info. It's definitely a lattice crawler, early 1970's. I can get exact date and serial.

Tugger2

P&H 670 with Magna Torque swing. It might be something as simple as wet or oily frictions .If they are oily brake clean first and then run them in, Any P&H ive ran from hydraulic friction to Magnatorque needed a good run on the frictions with the house lock on every morning to dry out. High Rpm and just ease them in gently,both ways for a minute or 2 and your good for the day. They will take you for a rough ride otherwise. These old old cranes have feelings you need to learn and respect.These are a couple of P&H s ive run over the years they both like thier swing frictions dry.4th st. what tofino  D.F (27).jpgP1010095.JPG

Last edited: