• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Photos from the Tower

guyinthesky

Occupation
Tower Crane Operator (FM GRU 2560)
The Fog has lifted!...a few photos of the sunrise from my TC the oth morning, looking southeast from Victoria towards Juan De Fuca Strait and the Olympic Mountains in Washinton State.

Attachments

• DSC05058.jpg
    DSC05058.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC05059.jpg
    DSC05059.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 980
  • DSC05061.jpg
    DSC05061.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 972
  • DSC05062.jpg
    DSC05062.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 975
  • DSC05063.jpg
    DSC05063.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 973

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
damn good shots.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Who had the nads to install that string of lights on the boom?
For that matter how can you sleep knowing you gotta climb up there every morning??
I have all the respect in the world for you tower crane guys!!Thanks for the great pics.Ron G

guyinthesky

Occupation
Who had the nads to install that string of lights on the boom?
For that matter how can you sleep knowing you gotta climb up there every morning??
I have all the respect in the world for you tower crane guys!!Thanks for the great pics.Ron G

HAHA, well it is my crane...and I was up there operating it...and had my camera up there! so I guess those nads would be mine! :) - When I was putting those up with another operator we actually had the local newspaper snap a photo of us atop the apex stradling the pendant lines, shows up on the front page of the local section, my folks open the paper up bright and early and minutes late my phone is ringing with my mother chewing my ear off, quite funny...And its well a little nerve racking the first time you head up there or out the jib, but you get into a comfort zone and it just becomes second nature. I walk out the jib usually once a month to do some greasing, check on my trolley motor and review the welds as I go to make sure there is no stress or shock damage, I've got some of me out at the tip taken from the ground I'll find and post :) - glad ya'll are enjoying them, I'll be sure to post more

guyinthesky

Occupation
whats it take to get in the seat of one of those cranes?

Hey mate, I'd probably suggest heading down to you're local union hall and speaking to someone there, it differs from province to province and state to state. The route I originally came through was non-union (i came up through the ranks in Calgary, AB where a bulk of the work was non-union (ackk...don't hate me now! :) ) and a lot of it was being in the right place at the right time, sacrificing a lot of my personal life to bust my sorry ass of as a rigger to gain the knowledge that eventually led to me getting up in the seat, I am now union and happy to be, the training programs in place with the union and union companies are the only way to go in my opinion, so ultimately thats the way I'd suggest you look into, i'm not sure what the union local is in you're area, perhaps if there is some guys on the site that are into cranes with OE in you're area that can point in the right direction.

Cheers

Ed

TSK415

Nice pics! Just like here except no mountains or ocean. Same here walking the jib once in awhile, checking things out.
I hear it's one helluva climb...
Ha Ha! :lmao

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Me can't stand them lifts on the out side of a building, never mind to go up in one of them things.

TSK415

This is a sunrise with the tower down the street.

Attachments

• 315 sunrise.jpg
    315 sunrise.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 770

guyinthesky

Occupation
Hey Ya'll...

I've got a few more photos... The first one is our tri-crane site in town, its an expansion of one of our Hospitals, about 10 km away from my site via my telephoto lense and teleconverter...

2nd is a condo redevelopment and heritage restortion called The Hudson, its a refurb of an old Hudson Bay building into Loft Condos, with an eventual 3 towers ranging from 12 stories to 25 in the back...this was shot on the street straight up in the wee hours of the morning during a very rare Victoria snow storm a couple weeks ago - The crane is a FM GRU 2560, same model as the one I am in. same height and stick

3rd is the same as the 2nd, but from a different angle atop a parking garage a couple blocks away

4th is my crane shot through a couple buildings with the christmas lights all lit up

5th is a shot from my cab, 200 feet up to the "atrium" which will eventually be glassed enclosure connecting the two low-rise towers together

Attachments

• DSC05066.jpg
    DSC05066.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC04659.jpg
    DSC04659.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC04753.jpg
    DSC04753.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC04727.jpg
    DSC04727.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC04694.jpg
    DSC04694.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:

Texasgary

Awsome, the last time i was up in them cranes was at the grain elevator by windermere pool and the memorial bridge doing a rebuild on the grain elevator. I remember the first time on a whirly crane on the 7 mile dam I was going to quit because I was dreaming I was falling, but I toughed it out. My hat goes off to you guys up there because I hated it up there, and I hated the toilet I had to use. send me more pictures they are great.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Nice pics indeed.That is quite the lens to draw in objects from 10k away like that.
Hats off to anyone who can deal with those elevations.
I watched a bridge being built in Maine(Penobscot Narrows) for a couple of years,they had two web cameras to choose from and I tried to spend some time there every day.
I used to spy the crane operator climbing the tower or descending at the end of the day occasionally.Here is a link to it now that it has been finished,there is still one cam on it.
http://www.earthcam.com/client/mainedot/index.php
They built an observation room at the top of one of the towers that was opened to the public for a small fee,I went to the top last fall while in Maine for thanksgiving.
I almost froze when the elevator door opened,glass all around with a grab rail to hold onto.My knees were shaking!!LOL.
The woman in uniform who met me at the top must have figured she had a winner when she caught me looking at the defibrilator mounted on the wall there!
There were stairs from there to the top,two more stories.I managed to get up there and took several pics but I was glad to get back on the ground again!!!The top floor was 412' elevation as I recall.Ron G

Attachments

• DSCF0109.jpg
    DSCF0109.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF0110.jpg
    DSCF0110.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCF0094.jpg
    DSCF0094.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF0135.jpg
    DSCF0135.jpg