• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Picture for Blademan

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
A friend sent me this picture the other day I beleive its and O&K from Germany. Its used in a coal mine for haul road maintenance.

Attachments

• giant grader.jpg
    giant grader.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 21,467

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
Thanks Taylortractornu ,

yeah , it does look like a old O+K from Germany ( I think they're part of Terex now ? ) . I've seen a few photos of pick-ups parked under the blade . Cat has a 25g grader that isn't as large , but probably has the same width blade on it , and being newer , is probably much more effecient . Boy that thing is tall . I wonder how it works on slopes :D

Thanks again T ,

Rob

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
The Umberto Acco Grader and dozer are the largest made on the front of the gradeer it has a 700HP Cat and a 1200HP cat in the rear. The dozer dozer has twin 700's to. The grader they made has dual wheels all the way around and the front weels and engine are articulated like a scraper. The pics Ive seen has a cop over the rear stack and closer views show it to be a 55 gallon oil drum. They were used for one job in Libya before being sent back to Italy. Both of the graders look monstorous next to my brother little gas powere double D Allis Chalmers
I wished i could blow this picture up but brother isnt here to o it so Ill have to wait.

Attachments

• acco grader.jpg
    acco grader.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 14,892
Last edited:

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
how would ya like to do slopes with that o&k???lol
actually i would proably pay good money ti try that monster out!??!!!

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
I see Cat's 24H running around at the proving ground from time to time, looks like a blast to run. We only run 2 16G's and a 16H at work. As quick as we wear out edges, a bigger blade would probably be bad for mechanic retention.

Klutz

Occupation
Engineer
Taylortractornu said:
A friend sent me this picture the other day I beleive its and O&K from Germany. Its used in a coal mine for haul road maintenance.

Actually the grader is a Champion 100T.
With 700hp and a weight of 92 ton :notworthy it's second only to mr Accu's home made creation. I found the data at http://members.aol.com/polytrac/.

Attachments

• Champion 100-T 2a.JPG
    Champion 100-T 2a.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 15,326
  • Champion 100-T 3a.JPG
    Champion 100-T 3a.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 14,347

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Could you imagine trying to cut blue tops with that, anyone got a spare set of binoculars?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
itsgottobegreen said:
Does anyone know what the heck that huge acco grader was used for???:spongebob

If you look at the pics of it on PullPans site I think it said where it was used there.Seems like it was made for an oilfield job in Africa or something like that and when they finished they brought it wherever it is now.
I may be wrong but it seems like I read that on his site.Ron G

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
The large Acco grader was built for an earthmoving project in libya but am not sure wether or not that it was used for that.
ACCO also built the worlds largest dozer in 1980, it had the elevated sprocket design (like cat) and 1300 horsepower and weighed in at 183 tons, 26 more tons than komatsu's superdozer.

Deas Plant

Third Place Only.

Hi, Klutz.
As I understand it, the Champion 100T is only in third place. I have a photo of Umberto Acco's prototype grader that was a mere trifling 160 tons. This photo was supplied by a friend in France who is amongst other things a commercial photographer, a gentleman named Francis Pierre who also writes books about the history of earthmoving and other machinery.

I post this photo with thanks to Francis Pierre.

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Attachments

• Grader1-1.jpg
    Grader1-1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,836

Deas Plant

Acco Machines.

Hi, Folks.
Forgot to mention, my understanding is that Acco built these machines, the grader and dozer for a contract in Libya but before they could be shipped, an embargo was slapped on Libyan trade, I think as a result of the Lockerbie terrorist plane bombing.

My understanding is they have never been used in 'anger' in the dirt. I am open to correction on this.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Deas Plant

Acco's current status

Hi, BRL.
I have no idea of Acco's current status, whether it survives or not. From what I can gather, there is a lot of equipment lined up on show somewhere in Italy. Occasionally somebody posts photos of some of it but whether it is kept in running condition or just sitting there melting away, I have no idea. I also have no idea about whether the company is still in business or not.

Doesn't help much, does it?

You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Deas Plant

That Acco grader.

Hi, Folks.
There are some more photos of the Acco grader posted over at WebShots. They are scattered about a bit but if you doa searchfor 'Acco grader', it will bring up about 9 photos for you, including one in-cab shot shown here:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2106511240065476939Bpsntu

There are also some photos of the Acco dozer there that I haven't seen before. Again, a search for 'Acco dozer' will bring them up for you.

Happy squinting.