• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pit Problems

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I received yesterday and have not heard any more.

They are expecting it to slide today or tomorrow It’s been moving 3 FT per day for the last week.

18.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I do not know if this is a old pit on mine site or not, waiting to hear back from my friend there.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It's not so unusual. I can recall major pit wall sloughs at Bingham Canyon and Freeport Grasberg, and likely hundreds of minor ones over the years. Mine designers try to improve pit profitability (less overburden to remove per tonne of ore) by steepening the pit walls almost to the point of slope failure. Sometimes nature comes back and bites them.

The Bingham Canyon failure was captured on video. https://www.mining.com/bingham-canyon-mine-slope-failure-37216/
The Freeport one is not so well documented on the web because of Freeport McMoran's fixation with secrecy. Photos do exist though, IIRC the material that sloughed at Grasberg was of something of the order of 50 million tonnes.
YIKES!!:eek: I guess everything with copper in it is going up 500%o_O
Doubtful. All the other producers will lick their lips and up production.

colson04

It's not so unusual. I can recall major pit wall sloughs at Bingham Canyon and Freeport Grasberg, and likely hundreds of minor ones over the years. Mine designers try to improve pit profitability (less overburden to remove per tonne of ore) by steepening the pit walls almost to the point of slope failure. Sometimes nature comes back and bites them.

The Bingham Canyon failure was captured on video. https://www.mining.com/bingham-canyon-mine-slope-failure-37216/
The Freeport one is not so well documented on the web because of Freeport McMoran's fixation with secrecy. Photos do exist though, IIRC the material that sloughed at Grasberg was of something of the order of 50 million tonnes.
Doubtful. All the other producers will lick their lips and up production.

The article you shared cites a HEF thread from 2013 as part of their sources.

It cites this thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...kennecotts-bingham-canyon-mine-in-utah.35222/

Nige

skyking1

looking at how it flowed around the 4100, that stuff is fairly fine and fluid. Recovery must have been a nightmare if it was done at all on those pieces.

Nige

Pretty much everything that was "peripherally hit" was recovered and put back to work AFAIK. Not sure exactly how much machinery was completely buried under the slough. From memory it wasn't like Highland Valley where there is/was plenty of advance warning that the slough was coming giving time to evacuate machinery & personnel from the affected area.

Nige

Couple of interesting videos from Bingham Canyon. First one if I'd been the driller who put that hole pattern in I'd have been crapping myself thinking that my drill could have been on top of that lot..!!
2nd one is a time lapse of the 9-month process to dig through the bottom end of the slough and re-establish the haul road down to the bottom of the pit.

colson04

Couple of interesting videos from Bingham Canyon. First one if I'd been the driller who put that hole pattern in I'd have been crapping myself thinking that my drill could have been on top of that lot..!!
2nd one is a time lapse of the 9-month process to dig through the bottom end of the slough and re-establish the haul road down to the bottom of the pit.

Wow. Sounds like the makings of a great episode of "Seconds from Disaster"

Tugger2

Always thought of these open pits as solid rock excavations . I would have never expected this kind of slope failure. I remember many years ago going the bottom of the pit at Utah Mines /Island Copper ,i believe they were almost 1400 feet below sea level,with the waters of Rupert Arm lapping at one side of the mine. If id seen this i would have never gone down there.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've spent a fair amount of time in shovel pits. There was a rule that you had to be a certain distance from the working face. I want to say it was 2x the face but I can't remember. Haven't been in a mine in about 5 years.

Nige

To quote my comment on the other linked thread about the Kennecott pit wall failure......

"I would point out that sloughs are part and parcel of open pit mines. I've been personally involved in one in Africa, seen the photos of Freeport in Indonesia, and now seen the photos of this one. All of them involved the movement of major league amounts of material (10+ million tonnes minimum). It's part and parcel of open pit mining. As one mine planning engineer once told me, the perfect mine plan for an open pit is after however many years of mine life that it has, the pit walls collapse just as the last truckload of ore leaves the pit. It's going back to the "funnel" I mentioned before, as you go deeper more waste has to be removed so you steepen up the walls of the pit as much as possible in order to reduce the amount of waste that has to be moved and so keep total costs down. The result of this is (to paraphrase Kevin Costner) - "Some days you win, some days you lose, some days it rains" .............