• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PJ utility trailers

KyPete

I purchased a 14ft PJ utility trailer about 3 years ago and have used it moderately to haul a side by side or small tractor. I and finding many cracks in the welds on the vertical supports between the trailer bed frame and the rail around the trailer. Most of the cracks are in the forward portion of the trailer. I have never seen this before in the many trailers that I have owned over the many years that I have used trailers. The main reason that I bought a PJ was their reputation for a quality product. Obviously, I was wrong.
looks like I will be dropping off at the weld shop tomorrow.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I don't find PJ to be much for quality; pretty average along with Load Trail, ect. The build quality on them is rather poor if you ask me; sloppy welding, cheap flat 4 pin trailer wiring running through holes torched in the frame, ramps cracking and wearing out the pivots, the list goes on. I have a 2020 PJ 18K gooseneck, and a 2017 Load Trail 16k Gooseneck, both are about the same speed. At the time they were about $10,000 each, if you wanted a good trailer you had to drop 16-18k for a B+B, Felling or Diamond C with the same specs. My Witzco Challenger 40 ton air tag is built on a significantly higher grade.
The PJ's are fine as a hobby trailer, but they really don't hold up to heavy commercial use.

My 8 year old could probably pull off better welds than some that are on my trailers.

Legdoc

PJ quality went out the door long ago, very hit or miss. There is a Facebook group that is not very keen on the product.