• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Power Take Off

deancot

High Im an old field service heavy equipment mechanic with over 30 years experience. I mainly work on Cat dirt equipment such as excavators, dozens, graders, dump trucks ect. I have and old 1968 C30 dump truck with 11,000lb rear axle. I'm restoring it when I can find some time. Now that I'm retired it seems I have less spare time. I bought the truck with a homemade wooden dump bed and I junked that and built a custom metal bed. The hydraulics have always been slow. At first I thought was the pump so I replaced it with a 10gal/min pump which was still slow so I put a new 12gal/min pump and still slow. Then I checked the speed on the pto and found the problem. Current pto is a Chelsea series 100 RBQ4 5245. It has a 1:0.5 ratio or is my engine is turning 1000rpm the pto is only turning 500rpm. I believe the pump is optimized to run at 1200rpm. I would like to have the pump turning 1200rpm when the motor is turning 1000rpm. I know nothing about ptos other than replacing or rebuilding back to original. I don't understand part number ratio identification on the ptos. Does anyone know if I can change gears in current pto to increase output speed on pto or if I have to change ptos, what number do I need to go to like a 1:2 ratio?

davejo

is your pump and pto divorced? maybe your hoist cylinder is oversized/bastardized.

Does it operate normal speed if you rev the motor to 2400 rpm?