• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pre DEF svl90 or DEF svl95

wheel10

Trying to weight a Pre DEF SVL90 or a SVL95 w/DEF. Both with equal hours, price, options and condition-which would you choose? Is the DEF really that big of a deal or is it really the DPF which is the issue which both machines have? Or should I be looking for pre emission machine like a TL250/240? Use of the machine will be for a little land clearing, trail maintenance, snow plowing on about 400 acres. No hi flow applications. Probably 100-200 hours a year at most. thanks in advance for your help. All of our previous machines have been pre-emission. Thanks

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
DEF or no DEF is a big deal if your talking Kubota. I would avoid the DEF machine, especially if you only putting on a 100 or so hours.

Cliffy

DEF only has a shelf life of 6 months. In constant use, high load applications both systems work ok. In intermittent low load usage, go pre emissions.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Wheel10! Glad to have you.

As the others have said - a no DEF or emissions machine in good shape is the way to go. Problem is finding one in good shape.

wheel10

Welcome to the Forums Wheel10! Glad to have you.

As the others have said - a no DEF or emissions machine in good shape is the way to go. Problem is finding one in good shape.
thanks for having me. I browse the forum all the time but this is my first posts.

So would you try to look for a tl250 ortl240 then or is the DPF that the svl90 has not quite as problematic as the current emission standards? Thanks

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
thanks for having me. I browse the forum all the time but this is my first posts.

So would you try to look for a tl250 ortl240 then or is the DPF that the svl90 has not quite as problematic as the current emission standards? Thanks
You are welcome.

KSSS is the resident Case guy when it comes to SSL/CTL's so I would lean on his advice. I have never owned a Case machine.

As far as DPF's go we haven't (knocks rapidly on dining room table) any problems with our 279D's that only have DPF's and no DEF.

Cliffy

There is always ways around dpf’s using emulators or programming when they fail. I have never deleted one. Always repaired or replaced components. And honestly i don’t miss the smoke and sulphur smell.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation

I am not sure how the DPF worked on those Taki machines, as a general rule, you need to run them harder to keep the exhaust temps higher which helps minimize soot build up. When idling hold the throttle up a little higher is also suggested. I think Taki switched to kubota engines on that series but I am not positive. I had one DPF machine in a CASE SV300, we put 2K hours on it and never had a DPF issue, but it was worked pretty hard. I think SCR has more opportunity for things to go wrong than DPF did, but some machines of different OEM's had issues with regen and so forth, so they are not without the opportunity for things to go wrong.

When Kubota switched to SCR in the 95 series, you heard of a lot more problems, same with Taki since they ran the same engine (as CAT does in their high hp machines). If you want a Kubota, I would try and find a 90 that hasn't been rung out.