• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pre-start jitters

excavator

Rebuilt a Deere 6-329 in a 444 wheel loader, had it back in, radiator on, ready to start in the morning. Woke up about 2AM wondering if I had put that one oil plug in. I lay there for a while and finally figured if I start it and there's no oil pressure I know I forgot but if there is then all is good.. It had oil pressure so all was fine but I know what it's like.

skyking1

Yes, with aircraft engines. You fire them up, check for leaks, then get it off the ground and stay close to the airport and leave the throttle (s) up to break it in. One hour at least Balls To the Wall, then check for leaks and loose parts. Repeat.
After about 5 hours you release your hold on the seat vinyl a bit.

excavator

Yes, with aircraft engines. You fire them up, check for leaks, then get it off the ground and stay close to the airport and leave the throttle (s) up to break it in. One hour at least Balls To the Wall, then check for leaks and loose parts. Repeat.
After about 5 hours you release your hold on the seat vinyl a bit.
I don't work on anything that leaves the ground or floats on water. I like terra firma, and the more firma the less terra.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Don’t blame you at all. Doing a sea trial or a bollard pull after a half-million dollar overhaul was stress city for a thirty year old, Coaldust. Being out of town, living on the ship, entire crew’s livelihood depending upon the results and making the opening. My goodness.

Tyler d4c

I had a n844t blow up 45 minutes after I put it together that one rod wasn't so good after all a crank rod and whatnot else later we where in business again. Blew up a few dirt bikes after 10 miles or so. This all was when I was 17 ish. It's only money whats the worst that will happen!

skyking1

it's a radial, unknown model. That's the crank timing card laying there not on the end of the crank.
Interesting baffle rot there too :)

chidog

Baffle rot? Where? Its just good old paint flaking off the baffle, no rot, a smitch of corrosion on cyl head fins here and there.
Hint C-97. Degree wheel not laying there it is mounted and functional, the pointer is hidden behind that rocker box. Any ideal what this is all for?
Fun stuff.

skyking1

Then it is plugged into the mag hole and setting the mag to the cam gears?
I have no earthly idea what that middle dial indicator is up to. The others are on intake and exhaust valves.
Edit: corncob engine and that is indeed the mag shaft.

chidog

The mag is intact with cover off, reading the crank position with the wheel, no other accurate way with reduction gear and prop shaft installed. Verifying the crazy cam specs in the book, center indicator to make sure there is no spring pressure induced movement of the cylinder that would change the other readings. Some time would like to see what 1500 psi would do.