• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Prentice machines

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
We have a Tigercat dealer about a mile from my house Was a Deere and Bell till barton was bought out by Nortrax Then they moved to Tupelo. For about 3 maybe 4 yea4rs Ive admired the 620 and 630 skidders and loaders with the occasional Fabtek forwarder. Last week they had one Fabtek and all the TC skidders were in the back I noticed at night they werent there. then saw one on the tiny shipping wheels like it was being sent back. Then I noticed a new Prentice loader out fron in with the TC's. Now thay have a New TC skidder up front and 2 new Prentice skidders and a feller buncher out back being prepped. Any experiance with a Prentice machine, Are they original machines or rebadged. I havent been able to get close to them. Im interested in forestry equipment but dont get much time on it.

Dig-UP

The entire Fabtek line was re-badged as Prentice machines. The CTL line up is now branded as Cat, who bought Blount's forestry division.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I didnt even know Fabtek had a skidder, The forwarders were the only thing sold here that wasnt a TC or Deere. What was CTL I cant place the name. about the only Cat equipment ive been around was the 518 FB we converted into a compactor and a a few 518 skidders.
I like the looks of the Prentices. Im not around alot of logging equipment I guess i get overly interested in it. I was hard facing a rake on the front of a JD 648 on a clean up job the other day the main contractor had a Prentice skidder pulling the thinned trees, looked like a good machine.

Dig-UP

Cut To Length harvesting, using harvester with processing head, and forwarder. We only produced one prototype skidder.

jon72

Occupation
Logger/Earthmoving
I could be wrong but, this is what a dealer told me,Timberjack sold it's skidder design to Prentice before JohnDeere bought the company.Take a close look at a Prentice.
I've never been in the market for a new grapple,(too many good used ones out there)But I would look at a used Prentice if I ever saw one.