• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Progress on the AW supper 300

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Did some plowing with it. worked great after I put on a set of serrated cutting edge. Plowed 2 trailer parks and the local post office to cut down the ice buildup.
Lights are done and 90% of the wireing is done. still need to do a little painting.
It has 2 leaking seals on rams, left lift ram and side shift ram but nothing I can't live with for now. Drip drip. maybe 1/2 cup after parked for a week between the 2. Seat is installed and sets nice.(found it out of an old suv.) insulation in the cab is also comming along. @ 10 degrees the heater will keep you warm.

The 471 needs a new govenor. But I havn't had time to look for one yet.
I did find the mirriors I want to put on it. Now all I have to do is talk the local tour co. out of a pair.
There is a AW in northern CA. that was built the same year. Low hours and has blade tilt which I would love to put on mine. it is for sale but I can see spending the money for the whole grader minis the transmition plus freight to get it up here just for the blade tilt.
I have more pictures to post but it will be a while as I am busy doing spring cleanup.

The work I have already done with it has been more then I have invested which is always a plus.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Glad to hear it's working out. It's always nice to get yer investment money back quick, makes using it that much better. Spring cleaning is always a chore. Not enough hours in the day to get everything done are there?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Well here it is coming back from a job that made enough money to pay for 3 more of them.
Still have a lot to do on it, like repair a few leaks that showed up after it was warmed up and ran for an 8 hour shift.

Attachments

• June-2008-AW-cohan.jpg
    June-2008-AW-cohan.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 761

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
AWESOME job dwan. She looks like new, cept better. How did the joy sticks turn out, or did you keep the lever row? You have me thinking of picking up an old '64 gallon w/ the same engine. They are asking $1500, I'm thinking I might try to get it at $1000.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Still has the lever bank, That will never change.

There is a 58 Gallon here that a guy tried to give me after seeing what I did to the AW. it has a 3/71 in her and is a lot loader then my 4/71. it has been kept indoors most of it's life and in real good shape. only used now for grading a trailer park, but the owner is getting older and does not want to run it any more. See the catch coming here?
I am not interested in another project but I will be taking over the grading of the trailer park along with the snow plowing/sanding in the winter.
Now this is what I had expected of the old girl, not so much the work but the advertising. The blade would never have to touch dirt but she is a advertising billboard.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Hey Dwan, I went looking through the site trying to follow the story of your AW...it was well worth the search. That's a great-looking machine!

rocko59

Hey Dwan WOW, I just finished reading the whole topic, nice work & a beautiful machine you have there! I have run various Champions & looked after a lot of road in northern Saskatchewan with 740's, the 6-71's made enough heat to keep from freezing. They also had electric controlled float valves on them, run by solenoids with toggle switches on the control lever bracket. There's some nice looking country up there. Russell

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I want to thank everyone for the encouragement. without it I would not have taken things as far as I have.
I still have a long way to go. I can now take little steps and do 1 part at a time as time permits.
Next step is going to be remove all the control levers, re bush them and new pins to tighten things up a bit then sand blast and pint them. I need to find seals for the control valves as they weep a bit, not bad but bad enough to drip oil on the floor after running a few hours.
I still want to add heating elements to the seat when I reupholsters it.

My wife wants me to add brass handles to the sides so it will be easer to carry when they bury me in it.

D

Dr. Ernie

I am looking at a 4x4 model and was wondering if you had any pointers to look for. Also what is the shift pattern on one?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
"H" pattern upper left reverse, lower left 1st, lower right 2nd, upper right 3rd. on the one I have. Transfer case upper left low range, lower right high range.

look for cracks on the main frame about 3 feet in front of the cab. Every one I have seen has ether has cracks there or been repaired there.
there are a lot of them out there for less then 4K. Some even as low as 2K. Look for good sound running gear the rest can be made. and don't expect to find one in perfect shape. Most are over 25 years old.

Dr. Ernie

Thank you I was thinking that might be the case but I did not want to look like a tool when I try it out. This one is pretty decent condition, IF I get it I'll post a few pictures. They basicly want scrap price for it, the only thing keeping it from going for less. I grade a few roads around me with a No. 44 Cat pull type, it works great BUT I have to have some one to pull me. The wife does as good of a job or better than any one else, but she can not back up. Also I am going where I am taken and have no choice....If I get this one I'll have a 44 avaible for some one. One more thing can the machine disengage the front axil???

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
My wife wants me to add brass handles to the sides so it will be easer to carry when they bury me in it.

D

That's beautiful! :lmao

Congratulations on a job well done Dwan. You have a lot more patience than I have.

Rn'R.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
No it is full time all wheel drive. You can take out ether the front or rear drive shaft and still get around.

Post a few pictures before you get it or e-mail them to me.

Thanks
Dwan

Dr. Ernie

I still have not taken any pictures, I bought it the other day though, I am impressed with it though. it runs good, needs some tlc though, new hoses mostley as I blew 2 of them in short order. No cracks or repaired cracks any where, It apears to have had a easy life. The bigest problem is paint, it looks a bit raged. And that I now have a #44 cat pull type that I need to go to a new home...(for sale)

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
You are lucky to live in an area ware you can find someone with a sandblaster. If I had of had access to one large enough to do the job I could have cut months off this project. Most every inch of the AW was cleaned with stripper, high pressure hot water, 4" wire wheel on a grinder, down to a tooth brush.
On the other hand you could just farm out the hole project and just have to pay for it.

Dr. Ernie

I prefer oven cleaner and a good hot water washer to a sand blaster, I only use the sand when I am preping fresh steel for paint or rust, for every thing else I use water.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I came across this thread totally by accident as it had obviously been a few years since there were any additions to it. What about an update..? How's the grader behaved since you last posted and what other improvements have you made to it..?